"PICTURE GALLERY OF PESHAWAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Travelogue by WAHEEDASLAM
Peshawar Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 333 photos
Islamia College was founded in 1913 to educate the sons of the Pathan chiefs. The building is in impressive Moghul/Gothic style, so impressive that it also appears on the front of the hundred rupee note. A stroll around the immaculately maintained gardens and lawns is a delight.
In the eastern part overlooking the city is the Ghor Khatri which was in the past a place of Buddist pilgrimage, where a Hindu temple was constructed later on. Princess Jehan Ara Begum, daughter of ShahJehan built a Seri together with two wells a Jamia Masjid and a Hammam. This entire complex was known as Serai Jahanabad.
the most interesting feature of Ghor Khatri are the two fire engines of London Merry-weather Company (1919 and 1921 models) that are parked in the old fire station garages.
Chowk Yadgar (the place of remembrance) is a monument in the middle of the square. It is a memorial to those who fell in Pakistan's wars with India.
A view from the old peshawar city with traditionally built house looks like a filn set of historical Hollywood Movie......
Another spetacular view of Balahisar Fort.....
The fort has been the Headquarter of the Frontier Corps since 1947, and can now be visited at weekends. Highlights include the Changin of the Guard which takes place 10 minutes before sunset. There is also a very interesting Regimental Museum, which examines the history of military life in the Frontier.
WAHEEDASLAM's Related Pages
Peshawar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peshawar to Kashgar, China,along the Karakoram Hig"
- "THE CITY OF THE SPIES...PESHAWAR"
- "One Day Trip to Peshawar"
- "Great Frontier Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peshawar
- Hotels in Peshawar
- Transportation in Peshawar
- Nightlife in Peshawar
- Restaurants in Peshawar
- Shopping in Peshawar
- Warnings and Dangers in Peshawar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peshawar
- 25 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Peshawar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peshawar
Photos in PeshawarSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Pakistan Intro, 118 reviews, 200 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hunza Intro, 25 reviews, 70 photos
- Islamabad Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 48 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naran Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Mansehra Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Scotland Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos