"Hiking and Biking in Bavaria" Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travelogue by lareina
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide: 320 reviews and 1,065 photos
The bike paths in Bavaria are amazing--well marked and abundant. I could literally get on my bike and find a path in any direction (but of course, I preferred the paths that didn't lead straight up the mountains!). Heading south one day I realized that I had crossed into Austria. I wondered if maybe I should've brought the ole passport in case I got arrested. ;) Going north, the land flattens out and becomes more marsh-like towards the Murnauer Moos. There are gorgeous views, hundreds of wooden barns scattered about, and cute little villages. You could bike all the way to Munich and beyond, or catch a train back.
One of my favourite hikes is at the Eibsee. An easy path circles the lake and takes about 45 minutes to complete. I love hiking in Bavaria because wherever I go there are always all kinds of people out---from young to old, some out for a stroll, others prepared for a serious hikie. We exchange 'Gruss Gott's and we are off on our separate ways to enjoy our surroundings.
I still giggle every time I tell someone about the mountain in Garmisch called the Wank...sorry, I just can't help it.
The trails on the Wank are reached from Partenkirchen. I usually parked in the lot for the Wank Bahn and then hiked around from there. Once I hiked up as far as the middle station for the bahn and then down past the tiny Daxkapelle, a little church. Another time I took the Panoramaweg, an easier, more level route that skirted the town and went past St. Anton Church towards the Josef-Bichl cross.
Whenever I was feeling less adventurous I would head to the Kramer for an easy hike. The trailheads are only about 7 minutes from the Marienplatz and after a 10 minute uphill hike, it was smooth hiking on level ground, high above the town below. I usually hiked from the War Memorial to the Pfledgersee or the Ruine Werdenfels (ruins of a 12th century castle), about 45min to an hour one-way. At the Pfledgersee there is swimming and also a lakeside restaurant with terrace. Last time I was there was in November and all the leaves were still changing. It was gorgeous, but it got very chilly in the shade.
There are amazing views of Ga-P and the mountains from the war memorial. There is also a large, open grassy space for picnics. If you continue hiking upwards on the Kramer, you will arrive at St. Martins-Hutte within 45 minutes. From there you will get even better views and a bier!
More Travelogues (1)
- See All St. Martin's Church
- See All Take to Germany's Highest Peak
- See All If you go by car...
- See All Gelato Italiano!
lareina's Related Pages
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Garmisch Partenkirchen"
- "weekend in Garmisch-Partenkirchen"
- "Welcome to my Ga-P page!"
- "A Tale of Two Villages"
- "Garmish-Partenkirchen and the Zugspitze"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Transportation in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Nightlife in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Shopping in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Warnings and Dangers in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- 19 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Photos in Garmisch-PartenkirchenSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Portland Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Bandelier National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Angangueo Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotel reviews
- Gasthof Fraundorfer
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Zugspitze
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel Almenrausch und Edelweiss
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Bavaria
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Atlas Posthotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Hotel Hilleprandt
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Hotel Gasthof Drei Mohren
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Forsthaus Graseck
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Riessersee Hotel Sport & SPA Resort
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Hotel Garmischer Hof
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Gastehaus Maria
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Post Hotel Partenkirchen
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Edelweiss
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013