"24 Hours in Fukuoka" Top 5 Page for this destination Fukuoka-ken Travelogue by Ewingjr98
Fukuoka-ken Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 867 photos
1830 - I departed Incheon Airport, after just arriving in the nick of time! The bus ride took 90+ minutes, leaving me only 30 minutes to check in. Luckily I had no luggage to check!
2000 - Arrive at Fukuoka international Airport. I take the free shuttle bus to the domestic terminal then take the subway from Fukuoka-Kuko (airport) to Hakata Station. It was only two stops, but it cost US$2.50 -- welcome to Japan!
2030 - I begin my long walk from Hakata Station to Tenjin Center. Of course, I could have taken the subway, but I wanted to see the city. I walked through the Nakasu nightlife district -- extremely popular among Japanese, it seemed a little too exotic for my taste. While on Nakasu Island, some Japanese men were playing a game where they try to catch an eel on a small string and hook. After failing several times, they earned a free eel to eat. Taking pity on th poor American, they let me eat the eel! The Japanese woman fried it up in teriaki sauce. The men waited until I gave them the thumbs-up before moving on for the evening!
2100 - I finally arrive at the Tenjin area and the first hotel I look at wants US$200/night for a room. I ask them if they can help me find another hotel, and they happily point me to the Tenjin Center Hotel across the street. For 7,140 Yen (US$66) I get a very small room with a single bed.
2130 - After wandering around Tenjin for 30 minutes or so, I finally spot a nice bar called Off Broadway. It is a small bar with an Aussie bartender and a good group of Japanese customers. After a few draft beers at US$5 each(!) and some good nightlife tips from the local liquor reseller, I head off to find The Dark Room.
2300 - At first the Dark Room had a strange feel. As the name implies, it is very dark inside with black walls and floor. When I arrived, the only other customers were what appeared to be several US Marines. I sat at the bar and talked to the cute Japanese bartender with the pierced naval. After few hours of friendly conversation, and many classic rock songs, a few more Japanese ladies sat at the bar next to me, opened their bottle of red wine, and unwrapped a brick of cheese... A few bottles of wine later, I finally make my way back to the hotel...
One interesting thing I noticed about Japanese is how they have no problem paging through porn in a public place such as a convenience store...
0930 - I struggle out of bed and begin my walking tour of Fukuoka. I take a quick stroll through the Tenjin area, including a stop at a small residential temple, and make a loop to the north east back to Nakasu Island. After a short nap at a park on the southern tip of the island, I hop on the subway heading to the Fukuoka Castle ruins.
1100 - I spend about an hour in the castle; it has impressive walls and moats, but the inside has modern sports facilities taking away from the aura.
1200 - Wander around the edge of the park south of the castle which has a beautiful lake, with a nice white bridge leading to the islands in the center. I then spend the next hour walking to the Fukuoka Tower.
1400 - I finally grab lunch at a sushi shack near Fukuoka Beach for about US$6. I relax on the beach for an hour enjoying the sun, sand, and surf while I eat.
1500 - I take the subway back to Tenjin, stroll for a bit longer, then another subway to the airport for my flight to Okinawa.
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Fukuoka-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fukuoka-ken, People like a Festival"
- "Fukuoka - International City with Famous Nightlife"
- "FUKUOKA.... good food, nice people"
- "24 Hours in Fukuoka"
- "Fukuoka Prefecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fukuoka-ken
- Hotels in Fukuoka-ken
- Transportation in Fukuoka-ken
- Nightlife in Fukuoka-ken
- Restaurants in Fukuoka-ken
- Shopping in Fukuoka-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Fukuoka-ken
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fukuoka-ken
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Fukuoka-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fukuoka-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1242 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 150 reviews, 753 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 100 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues