"Pasar Oleh Oleh" Pulau Bintan Travelogue by DarkRay
Pulau Bintan Travel Guide: 457 reviews and 1,170 photos
Although a very "touristy" destination, I loved it! Some people may hate it because they consider it a tourist trap, but it is really more expensive to eat and buy stuff from the hotel. If anything, it provides for an interesting distraction from the usual beach and sea for those not wanting to venture to Tanjung Pinang (S$88 return trip, 1.5 hours ride), which is the main town of both Bintan and Batam.
There will be shuttle buses ferrying hotel guests to Pasar Oleh Oleh and the return trip cost S$2, payable as an entrance fee to Pasar Oleh Oleh.
Oh yeah, do visit it during the evening only as it can get quite hot during the afternoon. For the 2 times I visited it, I took the 6.55pm shuttle bus from Nirwana Resort and the 9pm shuttle bus back.
Pasar Oleh Oleh is a cluster of shops, all targetting at the tourist dollar.
Anyway, despite the corny name ("Helo" is "OIeh" in reverse), this restaurant actually serves very good and reasonably priced food.
My dinner during the first evening in Bintan consisting of otah otah (BBQ fish paste), BBQ chicken wings, deep fried fish with soy gravy, sambal kangkong (a form of green vegetables fried with chilli), and drinks (ice coffee) came up to only S$12 each after splitting it 3 way with my friends, which included an additional voluntary 10% tips.
For my second evening, we had a mini-feast consisting of chilli crab, BBQ chicken wings, butter prawns, prawn egg, stir-fried vegetables, and beer came up to S$20 each after splitting it 5-way with my friends, which included tips as well.
For those looking for even more affordable fare, from Pasar Oleh Oleh, you can also take a short 5 minutes walk to a nearby Pujasera, which is a food court serving local delights at even lower prices!
The well-stocked minimart is our favourite place in the whole of Pasar Oleh Oleh! The items here are usually about 30~50% cheaper than that of the minimarts in the hotels and it has a much wider variety too!
The "Monica" brand Kueh Lapis (Layer Cake) costing S$10 each are rather delicious and makes for great gifts!
Häagen-Dazs ice-creams are available as well for those wanting something cool to beat the heat.
There are lot of these "Polo" shops in Indonesia and it is with no exception that we find a few of these in Bintan at the following locations:
- 1 in Pasar Oleh Oleh (pictured)
- 2 in Bandar Bentan Telani
- 1 in Bintan Lagoon Resort
One of the most common questions asked is "are this the real McCoy"? Well, the answer is yes and no.
"Yes", because these are actually a special franchise of the Ralph Lauren label, and is manufactured under license from them.
"No", because you won't find the word "Ralph Lauren" printed anywhere and both the cutting and materials used are clearly much more inferior.
- Live Music in Nirwana Resort
- Bintan Resort Ferries
- See All Mana Mana Beach Club
- Bring Your Suntan Lotion!
DarkRay's Related Pages
Pulau Bintan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monsoon Season in Pulau Bintan"
- "IMPREXXION: PULAU BINTAN"
- "Bintan Resorts - An easy getaway from Singapore."
- "A Birthday Getaway"
- "Bintan Island Resort-Indonesia"
- "Bintan - Island of Resorts and Rural Lifestyle"
- "Bintan Trip 2004: Fri 9th Apr - Sun 11th Apr"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Bintan
- Hotels in Pulau Bintan
- Transportation in Pulau Bintan
- Nightlife in Pulau Bintan
- Restaurants in Pulau Bintan
- Shopping in Pulau Bintan
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Bintan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Bintan
- 10 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Pulau Bintan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Bintan
Photos in Pulau BintanSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai Intro, 31 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Christchurch Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fiordland National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos