"Serra Verde Express, Curitiba to Morretes, Brazil" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado do Parana Travelogue by glabah
Estado do Parana Travel Guide: 844 reviews and 2,193 photos
I first learned of the Serra Verde Express through the web site of the State of Paran?. The trip claimed to be over spectacular scenery and that is what I found. The area is, sadly, one of the few remaining forests in the state that has been preserved in nearly its native state. The good news is that it is fairly large: once the train leaves the outskirts of Curitiba, we didn't see anything other than equipment on railroad tracks until we arrived in Morretes.
The train leaves Curitiba every day from the combined bus terminal and train station.
"Tourist Class" was recommended by the people at Serra Verde, for anyone from outside the country. While more expensive than the normal tickets, it was January, 2002, and the exchange rate was very favorable. Round trip Curitiba to Morretes, van trip and English speaking tourist guide to Antonina ( a small, historic community on the bay ), lunch in a good restaurant in Antonina, with return by tourist van and English speaking guide to Curitiba, with a cost about US$40 due to the very favorable exchange rate during that month. The concern I had was that "air conditioning" was mentioned by the company, and I figured that would mean the windows don't open. I need not have worried. In Brazil they understand that tourists like to take pictures, and windows interfere with that.
However, just because the windows open doesn't mean that they want you to fall out of the train.
This spectacular bridge is one of the interesting places along the line. Note the water on the camera lens and the side of the car due to the train passing through a rain storm minutes before the photo was taken.
After crossing the bridge, there is a good photo opportunity of it as the train works its way along the edge of the hill.
A small breakfast is served with the "tourist" class tickets, which is served as the train departs Curitiba. The train apparently makes regular stops, to allow uphill freight trains to pass, in the small, isolated community pictured here along the line. This is approximately 15 kilometers from Curitiba, and conveniently enough the train stops in this community just as people are finishing breakfast. This is apparently a major event for the children there, who ask for leftovers from breakfast.
Scenery along the line was quite spectacular, although not quite like the Rocky Mountaineer in British Columbia. On the other hand, Rocky Mountaineer charges many times what Serra Verde charges. The line-side signal pole is made from old railroad rail. There were seveal tunnels and waterfalls. On several occasions the line hugs the side of cliffs as it descends to the Atlantic Ocean.
See my Curitiba Must See Activity for the contact information.
Other Nearby Railway Attractions:
Rio Negrinho has a neat little tourist railway that operates with steam over a portion of ALL. See my Rio Negrinho Introduction for contact information for them plus a few photos, or my Rio Negrinho Travelogue for some more photos.
More Travelogues (1)
glabah's Related Pages
Estado do Parana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wet and wild"
- "estado do parana -"
- "Vila Velha State Park"
- "Famed Waters only One Small Part of State"
- "Serra Verde Express, Curitiba to Morretes, Brazil"
- "Estado do Parana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado do Parana
- Hotels in Estado do Parana
- Transportation in Estado do Parana
- Nightlife in Estado do Parana
- Restaurants in Estado do Parana
- Shopping in Estado do Parana
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado do Parana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estado do Parana
- 65 Reviews
- 290 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Estado do Parana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado do Parana
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Southwest USA trip in September"
- updated a Estado do Parana Travel Page "Famed Waters only One Small Part of State"
- Wrote a Review Vila Velha: Large Rocks in the State Park in Estado do Parana Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Paraná "Pine" Tree"
Photos in Estado do ParanaSee All Photos (290)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 162 reviews, 791 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 368 photos, 33 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 39 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue