"Inca Trail - Ancient Royal Highway" Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Travelogue by jadedmuse
Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 649 reviews and 1,788 photos
We started out on fairly flat terrain, departing from the town of Chilca and trekking along the Urubamba River.
We continued our trek until we reached the ruins of Llactapata, a former Inca settlement.
We slept here our first night.
We started ascending in earnest by day two, going through dry gorges and brambly forests before reaching a high plateau for the evening.
There were horses grazing in this valley, and I could hear them whinnying at night.
Some of the porters preferred to sleep outdoors with only a blanket to cover them.
It was very, very cold here.
We continued ascending through cloud forests and misty terrain, passing through "Dead Woman's Pass" at nearly 14,000 ft (4050 m).
We broke camp near the impressive ruins of Sayacmarca, at approximately 11,000 feet.
We all felt great, knowing we would soon be coming face to face with our reward, the following day.
We were full of energy and excited on our last official "hiking" day. Energized, we began a descent past several hidden Inca ruins, including Hunay Huayna and past that, Intipunku.
More Travelogues (1)
- See All Your Porters on the Inca Trail
- Make like an Inca and Hike the Trail!
- See All CHICHA
- See All Binoculars
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Machu Picchu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inca Trail"
- "Machu Picchu"
- "Magical Machu Picchu in Rainy Season"
- "Lost City of the Incas"
- "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- "EL CAMINO DEL INCA - DAY 1"
- "Machu Picchu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Machu Picchu
- Transportation in Machu Picchu
- Nightlife in Machu Picchu
- Restaurants in Machu Picchu
- Shopping in Machu Picchu
- Warnings and Dangers in Machu Picchu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu
- 27 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Machu Picchu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machu Picchu
- Posted in Travel Quito Forum "2 Days in Quito - with an 8 year..."
- updated a Machu Picchu Travel Page "Lost City of the Incas"
- Commented on one of SirRichard's Machu Picchu travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inca Trail - Ancient Royal Highway"
- Wrote a Review Your Porters on the Inca Trail about Porters in Machu Picchu Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Machu Picchu hotel reviews
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu
- 930 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge
- 725 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel
- 520 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Machu Picchu Inn
- 369 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Hostal Machu Picchu
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2012
- Rupawasi Condor House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Santuario Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013