"South Lakes Wild Animal Park" Lake District National Park Travelogue by catkin
Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 487 reviews and 1,306 photos
The South Lakes wild animal park is a great place to while away the hours. As a local, I have a season ticket and never tire of going there.
Many of the animals here are endangered but in their safe haven here have managed to produce offspring.
Igor and his sister Nina are the parks two Amur or Siberain Tigers. These are the biggest species of tiger, the Sumatran being the smallest.
There is no danger of brother and sister producing offspring, Igor has had a vasectomy as he is not required for any breeding programme, but who knows what the future holds for Nina.
There are also two Sumatran tigers at the park and hopefully they will manage to rear some cubs.
The park has had its two male rhinos for around two to three years now and they have recently been joined by two young females.
Notice the rhinos look pinkish red? You would understand why if you saw the soil in the area.
The coatis are always amusing to watch as there are always several youngsters playing around.
The park has a family of asian short clawed otters.
I always have to spend some time watching the many meerkats at the park. They make me laugh the way they stand on guard or sit in the sun.
The lemurs seem to manage to be everywhere in the park. There are several different species here too.
My mums favourites.
There are currently six young giraffes at the park.
If you are there at the right time you may catch the giraffe talk and feeding.
catkin's Related Pages
Lake District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- "A favourite part of the country"
- "Lake District"
- "Ben-UK's Lake District page"
- "It`s Just A Hop Skip And A Jump"
- "Scenery at its best"
- "The Lake District - scenery at its best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake District National Park
- Hotels in Lake District National Park
- Transportation in Lake District National Park
- Nightlife in Lake District National Park
- Restaurants in Lake District National Park
- Shopping in Lake District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake District National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Lake District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake District National Park
- updated a Lake District National Park Travelogue "South Lakes Wild Animal Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "South Lakes Wild Animal Park"
- Wrote a Review Brantwood Garden in Lake District National Park Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Vegetarian food"
- Commented on one of aah_stone's Lake District National Park travel pages
Photos in Lake District National ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Luxor Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Prague Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Lake District National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Goa Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Thailand Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos