"Libertyville: A Gardener's Answer" Libertyville Travelogue by deecat
Libertyville Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 152 photos
The back of our home faces the South. We have three large sliding glass doors across the back of the house as well as three very high windows (Vaulted ceilings), so light flushes our Great Room and Kitchen.
Every time I glance out these windows/doors, I see my Perennial gardens and smile. It is such a serene vision that it calms even the most hectic times.
Because the back of the house faces the South, Roses thrive in this environment.
For the last few years, I've added one or two new roses each year. I'm partial to pink roses, so I probably have roses in every shade of pink.
In addition, I have yellow, white, red, coral, and lavender! Roses take special care, but they are well worth it.
While in Pompeii, Italy, I purchased the Terra Cotta Mask that you see in the photograph.
It's a nice addition to the garden scene. Everytime I see the mask, I remember the great time we had in Italy, Pompeii in particular.
Starting at the end of February, I start my seedlings in containers and within small greenhouses in my Great Room with its massive Southern exposure windows.
The Cosmos in the photograph are some of the plants from seeds in February of 2003. I used organically grown Cosmos seeds: "Sensation" and "Piccotee".
I started using Perennial Hibiscus plants in 2001, and I now have 3 white ones, one red, one pink, and one maroon one.
They are so easy to care for and return each year. The individual blooms are HUGE. Each bloom lasts only one day, but each plant is filled with hundreds of blooms. I can tell you that they are real "show stoppers"!
Along the West side of our house, I always plant blue Lobelia Erinus in "Cambridge Blue" or "Periwinkle Blue".
It is mound-forming and covered with hundreds of deep purple/blue flowers. It serves as a ground cover at the edge of my stone border. It blooms all summer and into fall. I cut it back about twice a summer and it reblooms vigorously.
Throughout my garden I have Stepping Stones, Statues, Obolisks, Gazing Balls, and Decorative Plant Stakes.
I also make my own Stepping stones from pieces of ceramic, plain concrete square or round steps, in-door/outdoor glue and weatherproof glaze. I made over 25 as gifts to my friends.
The Photograph shows the Stained-Glass Stepping Stones from my Patio to the West side of the yard.
I love old Fashioned Flowers such as the fragrant sweetpea.
The one that I grow has a "spicey" fragrance that is delightful. It has blue, white, purple, and pink blossoms on one plant.
This is a photograph of the sweetpea vine at a very young stage. In a few weeks, that trellis was covered!
- See All What a Terrific Addition to Libertyville
- See All New Owner at...
- See All Outdoor Opportunities Abound in...
deecat's Related Pages
Libertyville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home, Libertyville"
- "Nicest little village near my suburban hometown"
- "A GATHERING OF SPECIAL VT FRIENDS"
- "Go, Cats, Go!!!"
- "Libertyville, Illinois"
- "Truth, Justice and a Good Time for All"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Libertyville
- Hotels in Libertyville
- Transportation in Libertyville
- Nightlife in Libertyville
- Restaurants in Libertyville
- Shopping in Libertyville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Libertyville
- 26 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 57 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Libertyville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Libertyville
- updated a Libertyville Travelogue "VT FRIENDS MEET UP IN LIBERTYVILLE AREA"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "What a Terrific Addition to Libertyville"
- Wrote a Review What a Terrific Addition to Libertyville in Libertyville Restaurants
- Commented on one of keida84's Libertyville travel pages
Photos in LibertyvilleSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos