"Libertyville: A Gardener's Answer" Libertyville Travelogue by deecat

Libertyville Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 152 photos

A Serene Influence: My Backyard

The back of our home faces the South. We have three large sliding glass doors across the back of the house as well as three very high windows (Vaulted ceilings), so light flushes our Great Room and Kitchen.

Every time I glance out these windows/doors, I see my Perennial gardens and smile. It is such a serene vision that it calms even the most hectic times.

Roses Flourish in the Sunshine

Because the back of the house faces the South, Roses thrive in this environment.

For the last few years, I've added one or two new roses each year. I'm partial to pink roses, so I probably have roses in every shade of pink.

In addition, I have yellow, white, red, coral, and lavender! Roses take special care, but they are well worth it.

Travel Brings Additions to the Garden

While in Pompeii, Italy, I purchased the Terra Cotta Mask that you see in the photograph.

It's a nice addition to the garden scene. Everytime I see the mask, I remember the great time we had in Italy, Pompeii in particular.

Grown from Seed Inside

Starting at the end of February, I start my seedlings in containers and within small greenhouses in my Great Room with its massive Southern exposure windows.

The Cosmos in the photograph are some of the plants from seeds in February of 2003. I used organically grown Cosmos seeds: "Sensation" and "Piccotee".

Perennial Hibiscus Come Back Each Year

I started using Perennial Hibiscus plants in 2001, and I now have 3 white ones, one red, one pink, and one maroon one.

They are so easy to care for and return each year. The individual blooms are HUGE. Each bloom lasts only one day, but each plant is filled with hundreds of blooms. I can tell you that they are real "show stoppers"!

Beautiful Blue Lobelia

Along the West side of our house, I always plant blue Lobelia Erinus in "Cambridge Blue" or "Periwinkle Blue".

It is mound-forming and covered with hundreds of deep purple/blue flowers. It serves as a ground cover at the edge of my stone border. It blooms all summer and into fall. I cut it back about twice a summer and it reblooms vigorously.

Gardens are More Than Plants & Flowers

Throughout my garden I have Stepping Stones, Statues, Obolisks, Gazing Balls, and Decorative Plant Stakes.

I also make my own Stepping stones from pieces of ceramic, plain concrete square or round steps, in-door/outdoor glue and weatherproof glaze. I made over 25 as gifts to my friends.

The Photograph shows the Stained-Glass Stepping Stones from my Patio to the West side of the yard.

Old Fashioned Flowers Are New Again

I love old Fashioned Flowers such as the fragrant sweetpea.

The one that I grow has a "spicey" fragrance that is delightful. It has blue, white, purple, and pink blossoms on one plant.

This is a photograph of the sweetpea vine at a very young stage. In a few weeks, that trellis was covered!

• Page Updated May 31, 2006

Comments

deecat Used To Live Here!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Libertyville

Have you been to Libertyville?