"A walk through Nijmegen (Part II)" Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Travelogue by egonwegh
Nijmegen Travel Guide: 423 reviews and 775 photos
St. Jozefklooster. In English that would be 'Saint Joseph's Monastery'. It's within walking distance of our house and it was built in the 1930s.
The monastery's residents, of the missionary order of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (SCJ), are sometimes called 'Paters van het potlood' - Priests of the Pencil - because of the odd, pencil-like shape of the tower. Their hospitality nowadays also extends to the congregation of the sisters 'Zusters onder de Bogen', formerly of the town of Maastricht. Notice the rather ominous clouds - not quite sure what to make of that ...
We had the rare opportunity to visit the monastery on 20 October 2007 and made these pictures of the interior.
This is their new chapel. Notice the balcony and the modern green seats.
Interior of the library. Mostly reference works and religious tracts and journals. According to our tour guide many books that formed part of their collection were donated in the past to university libraries and other institutions.
Neo-gothic church at the Dennenstraat, a work of Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers (1880).
Back of the church as seen from the cemetery.
Interior of the Dennenstraatskerk, Chapel of Saint Mary the Virgin.
Stained glass window, depicting the Good Shepherd.
Remarkable work of art, this is "de Stier van Hees" (the Bull). Also notice the mobile shop that sells doughnut balls.
- See All Steenbrugge Beer
- See All In search of time capsules
- See All Lourdes rock cave
- Zwembad de Goffert
egonwegh's Related Pages
Nijmegen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum"
- "egonwegh's own Nijmegen Page"
- "Nijmegen, residence of ancient emperors"
- "Nijmegen, my hometown"
- "Roeffie's Nijmegen Page"
- "4 Days March City - Nijmegen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nijmegen
- Hotels in Nijmegen
- Transportation in Nijmegen
- Nightlife in Nijmegen
- Restaurants in Nijmegen
- Shopping in Nijmegen
- Warnings and Dangers in Nijmegen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nijmegen
- 82 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Nijmegen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nijmegen
Photos in NijmegenSee All Photos (125)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 82 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 13 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zwolle Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arnhem Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues