"Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai" Top 5 Page for this destination Northeastern Thailand Travelogue by AlbuqRay
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide: 856 reviews and 2,786 photos
The name of this travelogue is really "Si Chiang Mai Area" but a VT idiosyncrasy is using this travelogue name for my Northeastern Thailand top 5 listing. I am trying this name change here to see what happens.
Si Chiang Mai is a small town on the Mekong River in northeast Thailand. Evidently Vietnamese soldiers used to take their R&R there. It now has influences of Thai, Vietnamese and French culture. For example, you may buy fresh baked French bread in the morning market.
Si Chiang Mai is across the Mekong River from Vientiane, Laos.
At Tim's Guest House for 50 baht per person, you can arrange a sunset boat ride on the Mekong River. BTW, the sun sets early because of the air pollution.
Phu Phrabat is an area with many strange rock formations and caves. Ussa Tower is the landmark formation. Our guide was "Papa"; he was French but knew some English. He is the guy in the middle in this picture. He was a very good guide and very accommodating. He even stopped in Thabo on the way back and helped me buy a camera when the zoom mechanism jammed on my good camera. He charged 450 baht for four of us (including him driving his car) and refused to take a tip.
Hey, we had to leave someone to hold it up.
The cave paintings at Phu Phrabat may be 6000 years old. They are not actually caves but are large rock overhangs as found throughout the park. One is Tham Khon or "people cave" and the other Tham Wua or "ox cave."
Phra Buddha Bhatha Bua Bhok is a Buddhist temple down the hill from Phu Phrabat.
One of Buddha's footprints is in this wat.
More Travelogues (2)
- See All Pha Taem Cliff Paintings
- See All Ban Chiang - Early Bronze Age Village
- See All Happy to Be of Service
- Watch Out for Land Mines!
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Amazing and Never to be Forgotten trip in KhonKae"
- "Isan - Almost A Best Kept Secret"
- "Isaan, unknown Thailand"
- "Isaan in the North East of Thailand"
- "North-East of Thailand"
- "Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai"
- "Nongkhai = Thai-Laosbridge and Wat Pho Chai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northeastern Thailand
- Hotels in Northeastern Thailand
- Transportation in Northeastern Thailand
- Nightlife in Northeastern Thailand
- Restaurants in Northeastern Thailand
- Shopping in Northeastern Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Northeastern Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northeastern Thailand
- 93 Reviews
- 168 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Northeastern Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northeastern Thailand
- Posted in Travel Albuquerque Forum "Re: Transporation "
- updated a Northeastern Thailand Travelogue "Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Northeastern Thailand travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Northeast Guide and Place to Stay"
- Wrote a Review Pha Taem Cliff Paintings in Northeastern Thailand Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Northeastern ThailandSee All Photos (168)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Top Northeastern Thailand hotels
- Nakhon Ratchasima Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 333 Photos
- Khon Kaen Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 260 Photos
- Udon Thani Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Nong Khai Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 305 Photos
- Ubon Ratchathani Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Pak Chong Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Loei Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Sakon Nakhon Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Nong Bua Lamphu Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Khon Buri Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Yasothon Hotels
- 1 Review - 34 Photos
- Surin Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Selaphum Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Amphoe Sawang Daen Din Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Roi Et Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 41 Photos