"The Hamilton Gardens" Top 5 Page for this destination Waikato Travelogue by shelnlin
Waikato Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 1,251 photos
The Hamilton Gardens comprises of six different gardens and several walks and a Cemetery. It is a lovely place to visit if you love flowers and like to see a Garden with a theme.
The Gardens are also a popular spot for weddings and many a fair has been held here, it is free to enter and there is also places to eat including a coffee shop.
More information can be located in my Must see activities page.
The person in some of these photos is one of my dearest friends "Helen" Qinsong Yu.
This Garden is re created from the Muromachi Period in the 14th-16th century. Simple in it's design, this garden was planned so that the person who came to visit it could find a tranquil place to relax and unwind from the pressures of their lives.
This garden is known as a 'Shoin' style that according to the Hamilton Garden's home page. Orignating from the 10th century it is best viewed from a pavillion, thus allowing the viewer to use their imagination. This is known as a 'Zen' exercise.
I walked through the passage to this garden and felt that it could easily be in the home of the late Marilyn Monroe with its 60's styled chairs and a kidney shaped swimming pool. As I looked in front of me, there she was... Marilyn Monroe herself made of mosiac. A real art piece in itself. This garden gave us a glimpse into the world of the 60's and had a minimialised feel to it, it was relaxed and uncluttered designed for barbeques and outdoor eating. I can smell the steaks cooking....
This was the first of the gardens featured in the Paradise Garden Collection. In it contains six small little garden traditions. According to the website a scholars garden represented "an imaginative world of allegory, fantasy, mystery and surprise and were rich in evocatice symbolism, ambiguity and thought provoking artiface"(www.hamiltongardens.co.nz).
More Travelogues (2)
Written Jun 30, 2007
Born in the Waikato
Written Mar 31, 2008
Hamilton Gardens Part 2
shelnlin's Related Pages
Waikato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waikato Region, where I live."
- "The Mighty Waikato"
- "Waikato - North Island's Farming Region"
- "A few days in the Waikato"
- "TIRAU - Home of CORRUGATED IRON CUT-OUTS"
- "Waikato Region"
- "Waikato, New Zealand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waikato
- Hotels in Waikato
- Transportation in Waikato
- Nightlife in Waikato
- Restaurants in Waikato
- Shopping in Waikato
- Warnings and Dangers in Waikato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waikato
- 15 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Waikato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waikato
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waikato Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Thailand Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Egypt Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue