"Travel in time" Personal Page by vec
When browsing some photo albums I found this old black and white photo.
Outside the house it's from the left my grandfathers mother Maria Elina Larsson b.1881, her daughter and her mother Johanna Alexandra Norman b.1856.
This photo is probably taken somewhere around year 1920.
This house was the summer residence to where my ancestors used to go with their livestock during the summer. It's an old timbered house called Mårtviksstugan located in the south east end of the lake Skarvsjön, Lappland, Sweden. To get there they had to walk about 5 km through the forest, or row the boat for 3 km.
A sunny winter day I decided to take a trip on the snowmobile and go and check how the Mårtviksstugan looked like now. After a 15 minutes drive on the snowmobile I came to the place for the house. Before it had been visible from the lake where I was driving, but now it had grown up too much twigs and trees, hiding the house.
From outside it's still a pretty house, but when entering the hall and watching the inside it was a sad view.
In the hall it was place for having animals, the only real room for the people was behind this door.
The first I noticed when entering the room was that the bricks from the chimney shaft had fallen down on the open fireplace, causing a big damage and a gerat mess inside.
It had also became a big hole in one of the timber log wall behind the fireplace. Letting the wind and rain from the outside in to the house.
The floor was also full of dust and rubbish. The hatch in the floor was though still in good shape, even though I didn't try to open it.
The glass in the window was though still intact, but probably for not so much longer. And the curtain was in a surprisingly good conditing. They must have used good fabric in older days.
From the outside Mårtviksstugan is still a old beautiful house. But it will never ever become like on the old black and white photo from the 20's, but as long as it still standing there, I can always imagine what it could have been like.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 414 Reviews
- 920 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 38 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
- Commented on MalenaN's profile page
- vec and hana_aya are now friends.
- created a Budapest Travel Page "Budapest"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Budapest"
- Wrote a Review The museum railway in Mariefred Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "How to get to the Bang Khu Wiang..."
created their Personal Page "To capture the moment"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 97 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Storuman Intro, 76 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sundbyberg Intro, 47 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gotland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umeå Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Solna Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos