"April 2001 - Crossing Charleston Harbor" Isle of Palms Travelogue by grandmaR
Isle of Palms Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 61 photos
We left Buzzard's Roost Marina and went through Elliott Cut and the Wappo Creek Bridge.
Then we motored down and across the harbor, and into the ICW on the other side. The Ben Sawyer bridge is over there, and it has fenders (wooden fences to keep boats from crashing into the bridge) only on one side. I assume this is because the water is too shallow on the other side. I heard the bridge tender pleading with someone not to go through the wrong side.
Saw black and white skimmers flying in pairs along the edge of the water with the bottom half of their beaks in the water. Saw human clam diggers mucking around in the mud.
We got to Isle of Palms on the other side of the harbor about noon after 16.6 miles @ 6.4 mph for a total of 578 nm. The boat dock guy was wearing flipflops and had a hard time getting us tied up. We were behind a big power boat and ahead of him was a huge Norseman catamaran. Later a big trawler named JANET ANN came in and tied up behind us.
On the other side of the dock were 2 sailboats, one with two dogs, and one with one dog. The dog spent its time lying on the deck, and when it wanted to go potty, it got off the boat using the stairs and trotted up the ramp, went, and then got back on the boat. Found that lady spent the winter here as she had family business to take care of.
We had cable TV, but the broadcast channels were so strong that they completely overlaid the cable channels, so we couldn't get the Weather Channel. The phone hookup didn't work at all, so I went up and used the connection in the office. We didn't even find the real bathrooms and showers until much later.
We got lunch (pork chops and chicken livers) at the deli, and ate dinner at the restaurant overlooking our slip. We both had barbecue chicken which was about $14 @.
The reason we stopped so soon was - Bob didn't want to spend another night in McClellanville tied to a fixed dock with an 8 foot tide. And McClellanville is the only place to stop between Isle of Palms and Georgetown.
JANET ANN left early, and then we left. We were passed by two other trawlers - STEEL MAGNOLIA and SUN CHASER. There was a third one GOOSE CHASE, but it never passed us although we heard them behind us on the radio. We passed a shrimp boat beached on the mud.
It's spring. Shore birds are mating on the mud flats.
As power boats would pass us, the laughing gulls would prospect their wake. Saw a bunch of gourds for birdhouses hanging on a stake like a big bunch of grapes. The wind is on the nose at noon, and there is current against us.
A sailboat named LUV IT passed us retty close. A boat with a big frame on the top came up and passed. It turned out to be a trawler from Montreal. There were several bikes and a ladder on top, and more bikes on the stern along with fuel cans. I took a picture.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Isle of Palms Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WILDEFLOWER's new Isle of Palms Page"
- "Staging at Isle of Palms"
- "Isle of Palms, South Carolina"
- "iop rocks"
- "The Isles of Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Palms
- Hotels in Isle of Palms
- Transportation in Isle of Palms
- Nightlife in Isle of Palms
- Restaurants in Isle of Palms
- Shopping in Isle of Palms
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Palms
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Isle of Palms?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Palms
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- updated a Isle of Palms Travelogue "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 15 Georgetown to Isle of Palms"
- Uploaded a Photo to "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 15 Georgetown to Isle of Palms"
- Wrote a Review Parasailing in the Low Country in Isle of Palms Sports & Outdoors
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Isle of Palms hotel reviews
- Villas at Wild Dunes Resort Isle of Palms
- 963 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Seaside Inn
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Homewood Suites Mt Pleasant
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- The Palms Hotel
- 318 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Sea Cabins Oceanside Villas
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ocean Inn Apartments Motel Isle of Palms
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Port O Call Villas
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Dunescape Condominiums
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 11, 2012