"Hiking the Lafayette Ridge" Franconia Travelogue by gilescorey

Franconia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 109 photos

A Diary of Two Ascents...

These pictures are combined from two different occasions when I hiked Lafayette via the "Falling Waters Trail", and descended the Bridle Path. The last trip was a few years ago, but I thought I had some good pics that might illustrate the beauty of this region.

Here, I've just broken tree-line and topped Little Haystack, the first of several peaks along the Lafayette ridge. Note that the winds are brutal here, almost always. And the ridge itself is so sharp, it affects the weather. Lightning strikes are a real danger. Avoid exposed frame packs.

Halfway Across Ridge.

Both times I've climbed Lafayette, the weather has turned sour for the length of the ridge. Oftentimes, conversing with my hiking partners has demanded cupping my hands to his/her ear and yelling. Also, "dropping" to hands and knees was necessary several times to avoid, literally, being blown off the ridge during higher gusts. Be prepared.

Of course...

Each time I descend, the weather passes. Typical. This is the Mt. Lafayette summit (5249') from the Bridle Path. Hiking in New Hampshire's White's is universally considered the best in the East. This particular hike is eight hours. And that's at a good clip.

• Page Written Jan 16, 2004

Comments

gilescorey

“I was on my way to San Diego, but my house got a flat”

Badges & Stats in Franconia

Have you been to Franconia?

Latest Activity in Franconia