"Hiking the Lafayette Ridge" Franconia Travelogue by gilescorey
Franconia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 109 photos
These pictures are combined from two different occasions when I hiked Lafayette via the "Falling Waters Trail", and descended the Bridle Path. The last trip was a few years ago, but I thought I had some good pics that might illustrate the beauty of this region.
Here, I've just broken tree-line and topped Little Haystack, the first of several peaks along the Lafayette ridge. Note that the winds are brutal here, almost always. And the ridge itself is so sharp, it affects the weather. Lightning strikes are a real danger. Avoid exposed frame packs.
Both times I've climbed Lafayette, the weather has turned sour for the length of the ridge. Oftentimes, conversing with my hiking partners has demanded cupping my hands to his/her ear and yelling. Also, "dropping" to hands and knees was necessary several times to avoid, literally, being blown off the ridge during higher gusts. Be prepared.
Each time I descend, the weather passes. Typical. This is the Mt. Lafayette summit (5249') from the Bridle Path. Hiking in New Hampshire's White's is universally considered the best in the East. This particular hike is eight hours. And that's at a good clip.
gilescorey's Related Pages
Franconia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Franconia Loses an Old Friend"
- "Life in the White Mountains"
- "The Flume Gorge"
- "The "Alps of America""
- "Franconia (or fun at slow shutter speeds)"
- "The White Mountains of New Hampshire"
- "rwaksberg's new Franconia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franconia
- Hotels in Franconia
- Transportation in Franconia
- Restaurants in Franconia
- Warnings and Dangers in Franconia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Franconia
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Franconia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franconia
Photos in FranconiaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos