"Montmartre tour" Paris Travelogue by Dabs
Paris Travel Guide: 22,500 reviews and 55,076 photos
The Place des Abbesses is a good place to start a tour of Montmartre, there are 280 stairs at this station and there is an elevator for those who don't want to make the climb.
The metro entrance for the Abbesses metro stop was designed in the art nouveau style by Hector Guimard and is the only one with its glass roof intact.
Our guide told us that there was initial reluctance to use the metro and that the glass roofs helped people to feel that they weren't like moles going underground.
Across from the Abbesses metro station is this pretty church decorated with turquoise mosaics.
It was the first important building to be built of reinforced concrete, finished in 1904, designed by Anatole de Baudot.
This apartment building was the home of Theo Van Gogh, the art dealer brother of Vincent Van Gogh. Vincent Van Gogh lived here for a short period of time, before his legendary ear cutting off and his eventual suicide at the age of 37.
Our guide told us their apartment was the one beneath the window with the flower box.
Le Bateau-Lavoir (translates to laundry boats) was a block of buildings in Montmartre, famous because of the group of artists that lived and rented studios there, the most famous of which was Picasso. This shop in Montmartre bears the name.
Based on a story by Marcel Ayme about a mild-mannered man named who discovers one day that he can walk through walls and becomes a famous thief.
Then he falls for a woman who is locked up nightly by her nasty husband. Of course, he can slip easily in and out of her room without using a key.
But one day as he does this, he has a headache and accidentally takes a pill that had been prescribed to cure his affliction and ends up stuck for eternity on his way through a wall.
Legend has it that St. Denis, after being decapitated, picked up his head, washed it off and carried it 4-5 miles to the spot where he wanted to be buried.
In 1875 painter Andre Gill painted a sign of a rabbit jumping out of a saucepan, "Le Lapin à Gill" which was changed into Au Lapin Agile. Many artists and writers frequented this cabaret.
- See All Paris Pass
- See All If I was showing you Paris, an itinerary
- See All Fondue in the 5th
- See All Keep your metro ticket!
- See All Great location in the 5th
- See All Eurostar to/from London
Dabs' Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 108 Reviews
- 179 Photos
- 382 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Hotel Le Baron
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 26, 2009
- Hotel Des Saint Peres
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Claridge Champs Elysees Hotel
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Ibis Paris Gare Montparnasse
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- Hotel Du Quai Voltaire
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Hotel Esprit Saint Germain Paris
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Printemps
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2012
- Best Western Opera Saint Lazare
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Saint Dominique Hotel Paris
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel de l'Esperance
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Best Western Derby Eiffel
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Ibis Paris Porte D'Orleans
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Relais De Paris Lafayette Hotel
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Chamonix Hotel
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Hotel Vintimille
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013