"VT-meeting December 27, 2003" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Travelogue by pieter_jan_v
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,687 reviews and 22,688 photos
Chris had noticed that a lot of New Yorkers would hang out at Amsterdam around Christmas, so he organized a meeting with an informal walk through town.
We met at the VOC-cafe (as we did on the previous meeting). It's close to the Central Station and has a great interior.
The VOC-cafe is located in one of the old city-wall towers. The New Yorkers came in a little late, because they had to travel from The Hague (and I still don't know what their host Mique did with them the night before).
I was surprised citylover666 showed up. He was not on the list, but just around in Amsterdam and he decided to join us for a part of the day. He was the early bird of the group.
Next was vrede (member for only a week!) and Mary.
We waited an extra half hour for kalimerachara, salampeace, Roaminmn and nurochka, but they didn't show up.
For a change it was sunny (!) weather with a cold wind at times.
Mind you, it was in the middle of the winter.
We went to the Nieuwmarkt and both Chris and Patrick were brave enough to follow me in having a "Broodje Haring" (Herring sandwich) at the health market.
citylover666 was experienced enough to order "kibbeling".
I could not persuade anybody to try the fresh baked "oliebollen", which were fried outside the local bakery shop.
We continued walking along the Kloverniers Burgwal, took a look at the old Gasthuis buildings (now Headquarter of the Amsterdam University) and via the Staalstraat we went around the Stopera.
Mary loved the Waterlooplein market.
We realy walked a lot. Via the Blauwbrug we went over the Amstel River to the Rembrandtplein.
The rembrandtplein is one of the nightlife centers. We stopped in front of the restored Tuchinsky Theater in the Reguliers Breestraat.
We left the Munttoren at our right and admired the flowers at the floating Bloemenmarkt. We took a left at the Leidsestraat and finally took a stop at the Leidseplein at the Grand-Cafe Heineken-Hoek.
citylover666 already went to a friend during the walk (he is becoming an Amsterdammer) and vrede & Mary said goodbye too, so the real VT-diehards stayed together.
After being warmed up we explored the "9 little streets".
We went through the:
back through the:
and up again via the:
In these 9 little streets many speciality shops are located.
Via the paleisstraat we ended up at the Dam square at the time most shopping people were gone. The temporary ice-skating ring was just disassembled in preparation for the NYE festivities.
Everybody was getting hungry and as we had discussed real Dutch food already, we went to the "Oud Holland" restaurant at the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. I had some wonderful "capucijners", a real Dutch treat.
- See All Eurotrans
- See All At the NDSM
- See All Former ship yard buildings
- See All Popular hotel for visitors travelling by...
- See All The Amsterdam Cheese "Museum".
- See All Signs of the tradesmen
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 653 Reviews
- 1,944 Photos
- 3,889 Forum posts
- 173 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (285)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Computer issues - again!"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Wrote a Review Eurotrans about Bus in Amsterdam Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eurotrans"
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1944)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 653 reviews, 1942 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 606 photos, 23 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 192 reviews, 508 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 467 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues