"2003- November 1 Down the Bay to Hampton Roads" Hampton Travelogue by grandmaR
Hampton Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 134 photos
Went by Wolf Trap light (above) and Bob watered the batteries. Called Old Point Comfort and canceled and called Tidewater for a slip.
In another travelogue are the photos taken passing: Old Point Comfort
We pass the aircraft carrier section of the Norfolk Navy Base - the aircraft carriers Ronald Regan #76 and another one. We can read the name on the R. Regan. Going by the Norfolk Naval base we saw many more Navy ships - shown two below with a channel marker
My camera has an annoying hair that appears in the pictures intermittently - mostly in photos with a lot of nice sky and clouds. I can't see it or clean it off externally, so it must be somewhere inside. Now that we are underway it's going to be hard to give it up, and also to be able to send it in for cleaning.
We also passed Ft. Wool (formerly Fort Calhoon). This is a fort which was built on fill land where ships used to dump their ballast. Robert E. Lee was given the job of stablizing it when he was stationed at Fort Monroe. I have a tip on Fort Wool under Hampton because aside from the fact that it is on the Norfolk side of the channel, it belongs to the city of Hampton.
More Navy ships- Bob thinks one of them is the USS Cole that was blown up. The Cole got underway from Norfolk a couple of days later (I saw in the news) so that's a definate possibility.
We saw a heliocopter and a big thing which appeared to be a container of some kind floating in the water.
- See All Campground
- See All Robert E. Lee's Quarters
- See All Railroad
- See All Old Point Comfort
- See All Fort Recreational Land and Water Use
grandmaR's Related Pages
Hampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hampton, Virginia Beach, Norfolk"
- "Old Point Comfort and Fort Monroe"
- "Hampton by the Sea"
- "Hampton, Virginia"
- "s.l.keeling's new Hampton Page"
- "Hampton Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampton
- Hotels in Hampton
- Transportation in Hampton
- Nightlife in Hampton
- Restaurants in Hampton
- Shopping in Hampton
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampton
- 23 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Hampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampton
Photos in HamptonSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues