"~ "Australia" ~ the heroine of the story...." Personal Page by Pawtuxet
She had already been given the name, Australia, when she was rescued at the Providence Animal Rescue League. (It's a great organization that does admirable work with animals.) She was given up by a family...spent time in the shelter...picked up by the same family...and dropped off a second time. By the time I came along looking for a dog to replace my beloved Ginger Girl whom I had lost previously....Australia was a hardened waif with little hope for her future. She gave me an over the shoulder scowl as if to say..."I know you people are all alike." My son always spoke of wanting to visit Australia, so I thought...what are the chances of finding a dog with a name like this?
We did puppy school together and she was the star. The trainer was amazed at her devotion to me after such a short time.
Several months after our union, I became disasterously ill. Aussie realized the gravity of the situation when I began convulsing, and she ran to find my husband, circling him to come with her...and barking frantically. She led him to me...and after the rescue, intensive care and lots of worry...I lived thru a very dramatic episode.
She is credited with saving my life. I am eternally grateful to her. My husband made a little ceremony for her while I was recooperating, and awarded her one of his military medals, which she proudly wears around her neck.
Folks at Providence Animal Rescue League had this professional photo done of her when they wrote the story of heroics in their monthly newsletter.
Australia is a very special dog, indeed.
Aussie travels with me almost everywhere. It was awful to leave her when I visited Poland recently. If only she could hide in my suitcase. She loves the car (now that I got her over her car sickness as a puppy). She watches everything as we drive. Often I find people staring...I forget how funny we look at times. Special treats are hidden in the door pocket as her reward for guarding my car when I'm on an appointment. We call them "scoobie treats". :-)
We celebrate her birthday with mine on April 4th. We have had a couple of quiet sunny days when she enjoys riding in the car with her head out the window. She's with me as much as possible. Waits in the car while I'm on appointments...she's as good as any dog could be.
Aussie is allowed to snooze beside me when I watch TV in the evening. This is the first dog we've ever allowed on the furniture. She's like a little queen....we spoil her as much as possible. Who wouldn't? Look at this little treasure!!
Well, of course when Halloween came along, we needed an appropriate costume for Miss Australia. Perfect choice. A Super Man Costume...but we call her "Super Dog"!!!!! (in a sing songy voice :-) )
She's shown here w/ KOKO who was my husband's chocolate lab. We called her "mama dog". . . another resque dog with a story all her own....and a happy ending when she came to live with my husband. She followed him everywhere. He said he should have named her "velcro".
Australia is an Australian Cattle Dog mixed with miniature Greyhound. You can see the waistline and she runs like the wind. Her coat is called Blue Merle. It looks as if somebody got her with a bucket of black paint. She does a lot of herding to be sure everyone is standing or sitting where she wants them to be. She's very smart..and fast...and so loveable. She actually hugs you and presses against you when she wants to give affection. Some people have said she looks like a Dingo...her ancestors, perhaps. But her nature is clearly sweet and docile...unlike the wild dog.
She looks particularly fetching in her neckerchief. She has a scarf collection bigger than mine! :-)
Found this neck piece in Rockport. It has little orange pumpkins at the end of each black and orange petal. I kind of wish I had one like it.
Aussie has her 10th birthday soon. We decided to give her my birthday date cause we didn't have full information on her from the Animal Resque League. She's still doing lots of puppy stretches as if she were doing yoga...and still can run without being winded. She loves to run w/ her pal at the field ...Gator is a Golden Retreiver that she loves (much younger than Aussie...but they run together regardless).
The grey hair increases on her nose and around her eyes...sometimes she looks like a racoon in dim light. :-) She still travels with me on appointments and to the office. We're hardly ever separated. Everyone loves her.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,617 Reviews
- 3,974 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 91 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
- Posted in Travel Gdansk Forum ""
- updated a Gdansk Travel Page "The Treasures of Gdansk"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Gdansk travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "PAWTUXET VILLAGE.....MY HOME"
updated their Profile Page "Look who is here!"
- Wrote a Review Watch them make your Salt Water Taffy in Rockport Things to Do
- Pawtuxet and Maryimelda are now friends.
- Commented on the Manchester travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos