"Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site" Springfield Travelogue by Paulie_D
Springfield Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 411 photos
Construction of the monument, which holds the remains of the Sixteenth President, his wife, and three of their sons, began in 1869. It was dedicated five years later. The Monument Association deeded the tomb and surrounding grounds at Oak Ridge Cemetery to the State of Illinois in 1895.
The central bronze figure depicts Lincoln as President. One hand grasps a scroll symbolizing the Emancipation Proclamation.
Four bronze military groups anchor the tomb design on the exterior. All are the work of Larkin Mead, who sketched Civil War battle scenes for Harper's Weekly in 1861.
These represent the branches of the military involved in the Civil War..the Cavalry, Infantry, Navy & Artillery.
Some information obtained from 'Abraham Lincoln Online'. Their copyright.
Near the entrance to the Lincoln Tomb you encounter this bronze bust.
A replica of the marble original in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. it has, unfortunately, proved irresistible to visitors, who reach up to rub it for good luck.
Best known for his massive face of Lincoln at Mount Rushmore, Borglum used a Lincoln life mask and photographs to create this bust.
The first room you see when you step inside the tomb is the rotunda, with a small bronze Lincoln figure in the center.
A replica of French's famous marble sculpture in the Lincoln Memorial at Washington, D.C. which depicts Lincoln as the Civil War President, sitting in a massive chair of state.
His hands rest on flat-faced pillars which symbolize the power of the American Union.
Once you pass from the rotunda into the tomb's hallways, you see excerpts from Lincoln's speeches and small bronze statues such as this one entitled "Standing Lincoln" by Daniel Chester French.
French is remembered best for his statue in the Lincoln Memorial, but he also created the original of this work. It stands outside the statehouse in Lincoln, Nebraska, and depicts a contemplative Lincoln about to deliver the Gettysburg Address.
In Nebraska, the speech is carved into a marble slab behind the statue.
French, who was probably the leading American sculptor of his day, shows Lincoln standing with his hands clasped, as though he was still composing his thoughts.
In the sarcophagus chamber, veterans hold ceremonies on Lincoln's birthday, placing memorial wreaths by the red marble grave marker. On the back wall, you can read Secretary Stanton's tribute, "Now he belongs to the ages."
Lincoln's body rests in a reinforced concrete vault beneath the floor, a precaution taken by his son Robert after an attempt was made on the body. Lincoln's wife and three sons are buried in the opposite wall, while Robert lies in Arlington National Cemetery.
More Travelogues (1)
Paulie_D's Related Pages
Springfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital City of Illinois: Springfield"
- "Springfield - the city Lincoln Loved"
- "Springfield, Illinois"
- "Where fine Illinois Politicians serve the Public"
- "Lived here for a time and left as fast as I could"
- "Springfield, IL"
- "Illinois State Capitol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Springfield
- Hotels in Springfield
- Transportation in Springfield
- Nightlife in Springfield
- Restaurants in Springfield
- Shopping in Springfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Springfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Springfield
- 2 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Springfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Springfield
Photos in SpringfieldSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oklahoma City Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amarillo Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Springfield Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gallup Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clinton Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Latest Springfield hotel reviews
- Ramada Limited Dirksen Parkway
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- President Abraham Lincoln Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- The State House Inn, A Clarion Collection Hotel
- 564 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Travelodge Springfield
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hilton Springfield
- 359 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013