"Parade" Medicine Lodge Travelogue by basstbn
Medicine Lodge Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 57 photos
Pre-parade entertainment included this wonderful clown who cheerfully shared the news of God's love, not to mention some goodies, with eager kiddies. A delightful lady who put everybody in a good mood.
Honored at the beginning of the parade were chiefs from the prairie nations assembled. This gentleman was followed by a number of dancers.
There were, of course, the customary marching bands, classic cars, and commercial floats in this parade, but most of the units, also particpants in the Peace Treaty Pageant, commemorated the history of the area.
Such was the case with this group representing the 16th century exploration by Spanish explorer Coronado.
Covered wagons such as this began crossing the plains as early as the 1840s, some carrying settlers to the west, some as commercial trading ventures, hauling goods to western settlements such as that at Santa Fe.
Early pioneers likened these conveyences to ocean going schooners, except this version crossed an ocean of grassland. Hence the name "Prairie Schooner." Some were pulled by horses, some by oxen, some by mules.
Not the rodeo variety of bull-riding, is it? You will note that the fellow atop this bull is rather large and appears to be quite strong. It was comforting to know that he was on this beast - not a weakling!
Just what every parade needs - a good lynching. This is either prairie "justice" or vengence at work.
basstbn's Related Pages
Medicine Lodge Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Shillong Hotels
- Hanging Rock State Park Hotels
- United States of America
- Hilton Head Island Hotels
- Male Island
- North America
- Batac Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- Eureka Springs Hotels
- Ligao Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Medicine Lodge
- 13 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Medicine Lodge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medicine Lodge
Photos in Medicine LodgeSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Intro, 62 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 81 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 30 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topeka Intro, 12 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Lucas Intro, 8 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 12 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues