"In and Around the Grussai Railroad" Grussaí Travelogue by glabah
Grussaí Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 12 photos
The trains are mostly used at night - they are used to transport party-goes around the facility between dance floors, dining areas, and various other event areas within the resort. The wood burning steam locomotives look spectacular at night, as the sparks fly out of the stacks.
Despite the number of locomotives at the facility, the people operating the railroad apparently feel they would like to have more locomotives. Thus, this steam locomotive undergoing restoration in the shops.
You will notice that there is always a tank car behind the locomotive. This silver tank car also has a small steam pump, and is used for fighting fires when the locomotive sparks set the grass on fire.
Stations names and railroad equipment names are based on Minas Gerais names. This water tower, for filling the steam locomotive tenders, is one example.
These old inspection cars are also at the facility.
The facility has made a number of passenger cars out of the old sugar cane cars as well. This is a compartment sleeper. Note the old spoked wheels and other items that demonstrate how old the frame of this car really is.
The interior of the cars is fairly simple, but still far better than most theme parks and amusement parks in the USA. The equipment is all built in the facilities shops, using frames and trucks from the sugar cane railways that used to blanket the area.
There are a wide variety of steam locomotives at the facility. It is difficult to tell when some of them were built, but many of them appear to be from the late 1800's.
Other interesting railroad attractions nearby:
- The 30 inch gauge steam powered line at Sao Joao del Rei was famous among those who were tracing the last remnants of worldwide steam locomotive operation.
- The Trem das Aguas at Sao Lourenco
- The Santa Tereza Streetcar ( bonde ) in Rio de Janeiro
glabah's Related Pages
Grussaí Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grussaí
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Grussaí?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grussaí
Photos in GrussaíSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 158 reviews, 783 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 156 reviews, 651 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 328 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos