"Le marché des femmes" Top 5 Page for this destination Mopti Travelogue by F_Meignant
Mopti Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 109 photos
The « Marché des femmes » (Women’s market) is in the old city. Women are traditionally in charge of vegetable. Here again, walk around, talk to people, smell fruits and strange spices…
Above the covered market is a series of “antiques” shops. Some of them have very nice things for sale, sometimes very expensive. Keep in mind that it’s forbidden to export real antiques… It’s not really controlled but… Be careful !
Strange spices... Various peppers, dried or fresh pimentos, dried baobab leaves and other indeterminate things...
Always impressive: cutting pieces of meat with an axe, blowing up the head of a (dead) sheep with a hammer to get the brain… And flies…! They are everywhere and sometimes completely cover pieces of meat. But don’t be afraid or disgusted by them : pieces of meat are exposed for a very short time, not enough for germs to develop. It’s ALWAYS safer to eat meat than vegetable…
Generally speaking about meat : the animal is killed in the morning and eaten the same day. It means that meat is always tough according to occidental references. But… it always has a fantastic taste. This IS meat… Not the kind of mixed cardboard, plastic and sponge that is sold under the name of “meat” in “developed countries”…!
F_Meignant's Related Pages
Mopti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mopti: Love it or hate it..."
- "Crossroads of Mali"
- "Mali Crossroads"
- "Good Luck"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mopti
- Hotels in Mopti
- Transportation in Mopti
- Restaurants in Mopti
- Warnings and Dangers in Mopti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mopti
- 8 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mopti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mopti
Top 10 Pages
- Yougopiri Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 5 reviews, 51 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mopti Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Othe Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lac Faguibine Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 27 photos, 1 travelogue