"~ Architectural Treasures ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Travelogue by Canadienne

Moscow Travel Guide: 4,070 reviews and 9,282 photos

Moscow has a wide range of buildings of architectural interest. . .many of them appear in my tips, but several others left me wondering where I could fit them in. . .

This photograph, taken from the Bolshoy Moskvoretskiy Most, is a view of one of seven skyscrapers that were nicknamed the Seven Sisters.

The wedding-cake architecture, a mix referred to as Stalinist Gothic, is incredibly distinctive. . .and the tiers may catch your eye from several spots in the city.

There were actually nine such buildings planned by Stalin, as part of his scheme to modernize the city in the 1930s. Only seven were completed.

The House of Unions was a lovely Neo-Classical building that was viewable from our Hotel window.

It was originally a private mansion, then was converted into a noblemen's club. Trade unions later took over the space during the Soviet Era, leading to its current name. The building is perhaps most famous as the spot of Lenin's wake/viewing.

Today, it is primarily used for concerts and public meetings.

The bas-relief hanging over this doorway is called The Wave and it marks the entrance to the Moscow Arts Theatre (MKhAT).

The theatre first opened in 1898, founded by a group of writers and performers including Stanislavskiy.
One of the first plays performed was co-founder Chekhov's "The Seagull."

Little ornamentation decorates the inside of the theatre, in order to focus the audience's attention on the stage.

The theatre is found in the pedestrianized street Kamergerskiy Pereulok and it's also worth noting the lovely Style-Modern benches and lampposts that decorate the passageway.

It was bound to happen ~ a church I am completely and totally unable to name. I usually try not to get so carried away with photos that I lose track of what I'm viewing, but it does happen on occasion. . . ;-)

If you happen to know which church this is, I'd love to attach a name to it.

Moscow is filled (at least the tiny portion that we managed to see in 8 days) with interesting architecture, both old and new.

This building is located on Nikolskaya ulitsa, near a number of much older ones (the Synodal Printing House, for example), but its lines are so smooth and its colour so rich, that I think it holds its own aesthetically, despite its youth.

Before my initial research on our upcoming trip, the word Duma had no meaning for me. For my mother, is was a different story. . .she clearly recalls childhood impressions of the State Duma as dark, dreary and even frightening.

Oddly enough then, the Duma was part of the view out of our hotel room. It was bult in the 1930s as part of the plan to redesign Moscow and has been the home to the Lower Chamber since 1994.

Pushkin & . . . ? Care to help me out here? I've tried reading the header, but the angle leaves the Cyrillic letters a bit out of my reach. . .is the Mickiewicz at the bottom a transliteration of sorts?

Anyhow, this was yet another spot during our walks that caught our attention ~ the bas relief sculpture decorates the side of an otherwise ordinary building.

Moscow's most famous deli ~ Yeliseev's Style-Moderne masterpiece. It's as beautiful inside as out, so don't forget to pop in for a look around. . .

Located on Tverskaya Ulitsa.

• Page Updated Oct 20, 2003