"A bike ride across Inishmore - 1" Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Travelogue by Alain_Smeets
Inishmore Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 322 photos
On day 3 of our Ireland trip we have planned to go to Inishmore. We left Galway around 8h30 in the morning so that we could be in time to catch the first ferry towards Inishmore. We expected it to leave around 10h00 in the morning. We were driving very relaxed next to the ocean and following the route on our map. Then I found it strange that we went further away from the coast, but on the map there was also a small dent upwards, so probably this is the place. But when we didn’t see the see after 20 minutes, we reached also the next place “Maam cross” and we knew immediately that we were wrong, so we headed back towards Rossavael to arrive a bit after 10h00, in total a detour of at least 40 km.
We parked our car on the parking next to the first ticket office, but this is a paying parking, but because we didn’t want to waste any time with finding a parking spot, we parked over there. Later we found out that 100 metres further there is another ticket office with a free parking. But what the heck, let’s tell other people about this. We walked towards the ferry and are getting in line to board our 10h30 vessel. But 20 persons before we can enter the boat, the crew calls it full and we have to wait for the next one.
But this second vessel was just parked next to the first one and when it was backed up and tied down, we could board this ferry. We choose for a place outside on the bench so that we can see where we are going. The sun is shining very bright and we are already feeling the power of his rays. So we leave Rossavael in beautiful weather to go to Inishmore. Inishmore here we come…..
After 10 minutes on the sea, I see some fog in the distance and it’s coming closer. Hmmm well we get closer to the fog and we see that the land is disappearing. We are totally fogged in now, we can maybe see 50 meters in front of our boat. Well can you imagine our feeling, yesterday the Cliffs of Moher were totally fogged in and now we have that damn fog again. But let’s make the best of it. I’m getting my t-shirt and jacket out of my backpack because it’s chilly now and I can use that extra layers.
As we get closer to the islands, we see the sun breaking through the fog now and then and then we see the island in the sun, there is a circle of fog around the island, but Inishmore seems to be a shining throne in the waters. Can you imagine our relief and then I see in the distance some dolphins swimming. I watch them playing and disappearing towards Galway. When we arrived in Kilronan, we passed the mini busses and ponies and traps to hire a bike. The sun is shining and I zip my paints shorter and in T-shirt we are starting our ride.
On this photo you can see the fog around the island, in the distance you can see the Bens I guess.
When we arrived, our battle plan was to make a big distance between us and the rest of the tourist (as if we can forget that we are tourists ourselves). But when hundreds of people are coming of each ferry and almost every 20 minutes there is a ferry arriving in the peak season, you can imagine why we decided to do so. The plan is to ride towards the most western point of the island and pass all the must see ruins so that we can have our picnic lunch on that beach.
When we were heading towards Brannock Island we were thinking again how lucky we are, fog around the island and we are burning in the sun. We see a lot of green walled meadows and we pass some early walkers and bikers. The road is hilly and we have to shift gear often to get ahead. It’s hard riding sometimes, but the views are compensating that feeling in our legs. Then we see in the distance the white sand of a beach. We weren’t prepared for such a lovely sight, but I felt sorry that I didn’t had my swimsuit with me. We saw Port Mhuirbigh (Portmurvy).
- See All Watch the depth of the cliffs.
- Thatching a roof.
- See All Dùn Dùbhchathair, the black fort.
Alain_Smeets' Related Pages
Inishmore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inishmore, a step back in time?"
- "Inis Mor"
- "Inis Mór - Inishmore"
- "EX TEMPORE"
- "Inis Mor"
- "The Aran Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inishmore
- Hotels in Inishmore
- Transportation in Inishmore
- Nightlife in Inishmore
- Restaurants in Inishmore
- Shopping in Inishmore
- Warnings and Dangers in Inishmore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inishmore
- 14 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Inishmore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inishmore
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: holding our breath"
- updated a Inishmore Travelogue "A bike ride across Inishmore - 4"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inishmore, a step back in time?"
- Wrote a Review Watch the depth of the cliffs. in Inishmore Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Krumel's Inishmore travel pages
Photos in InishmoreSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Machu Picchu Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Molenbeersel Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lier Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chobe National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues