"Blarney Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Travelogue by Goner
Ireland Travel Guide: 15,942 reviews and 36,363 photos
Blarney Castle was originally a timber hunting lodge built in the 10th century, which was replaced by a stone castle in 1210. The present day construction was completed in 1446. The Castle remained the ancestral stronghold of the McCarthy family until the arrival of Oliver Cromwell in 1646. Fifteen years later with the arrival of King Charles II on the English throne saw the return of the McCarthys to the Castle.
Following the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, all Irish chiefs were stripped of their powers and the McCarthys were again forced to leave Blarney Castle. The Castle was sold to Sir James Jefferyes, Governor of Cork in 1703. The Castle is now owned and managed by the Trustees of the Blarney Castle Estate.
We took a walk around the lovely grounds of Blarney to work out the cramps from our legs after walking up the 127 stairs to kiss that rock!
A peak at the tower from the stairs
The plants are huge here, they must be very old.
The Rock Close is laid out on a pre-historic Druids site with the remains of huge boulders, rocks, a dolmen (a megalithic tomb with a large flat stone laid on uprights), a sacrificial altar and a witches kitchen. You will also find Japanese bamboo trees, magnolias, Siberian dogwood and weeping willows and a stream which can be crossed via a small pedestrian bridge.
- See All Great Location
- See All Dublin Tourism Center
- See All Off and On Bus
- See All Dublin Customs House
- See All Real Irish Music
- See All Good Pub Grub
Goner's Related Pages
Ireland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places in Europe"
- "Ireland - I wouldn't start from here"
- "Leprechauns Make Me Do It!!!"
- "IRELAND - The Adventure"
- "REPUBLIC OF IRELAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ireland
- Hotels in Ireland
- Transportation in Ireland
- Nightlife in Ireland
- Restaurants in Ireland
- Shopping in Ireland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ireland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ireland
- 116 Reviews
- 260 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ireland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues