"Bosque Del Apache NWR" New Mexico Travelogue by TropicGirl77
New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,044 reviews and 9,776 photos
Travelling along I25, minding our own business, and along comes a sign pointing us in the direction of Socorro to a Wildlife National Refuge. Not a planned activity, but it was well worth the detour. It only looked like an adobe style building, so first impression was a small museum. RIGHT! Off the beaten path, and we HAD to stop to get a picture of these birds before going onto the museum.
BUT, once at the museum, we had to pass through dozens of resident hummingbirds! What a bummer ... it just meant that I had to get another several bird pictures!
The museum was small, but held enough information to prepare any traveller for the trail ahead. The gift shop had some really quaint items, but we were able to resist the temptation of spending another buck on useless items.
The 12.5 mile path ahead was boring at times, so you had to be sure to stop and look "beyond" the roadway. Thousands of migratory birds come here, so I was set on finding something, even if it wasn't winter. First stop ... The Boardwalk, and was that a wildlife treat!
I enjoyed the boardwalk the most throughout the trail ... it was like a warp zone ... Dance anyone?
There were tons and tons of blue dragonflies all over the reserve! They are quite unlike the big ones we have in Hawaii, and merited a spot on my page.
Then there was the line up! Swallows.
Bobbing, and going in circles, ducks can be entertaining to a degree. These two youngsters went about minding their own business, bobbing for small fish and playing follow the leader.
Jack rabbits were visible in several areas, but it was the coyote that I wanted to see. I left the trail a little disappointed because the coyote lay hiding. We were also graced with the presence of a mule deer.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Aug 15, 2003
Critter Wildlife in the Desert
Written Aug 15, 2003
Prickly Plant Wildlife in the Desert
- See All Outdoor recreation at it's best at...
- See All Door to where?
- Tastefully Southwestern
- See All Visit the Capitol in Santa Fe
- See All Monster spiders on the prowl
TropicGirl77's Related Pages
New Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Enchantment"
- "New Mexico, Earth, But Out of this World"
- "One of our 50 is missing!"
- "UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER"
- "Land of Varied Scenery"
- "New Mexican Legends ...."
- "Our Land of Enchantment"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Mexico
- Hotels in New Mexico
- Transportation in New Mexico
- Nightlife in New Mexico
- Restaurants in New Mexico
- Shopping in New Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in New Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Mexico
- 25 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to New Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Mexico
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Your first vt meet."
- Uploaded a Photo to "RV Waterfront campground"
- Wrote a Review Outdoor recreation at it's best at Elephant Butte in New Mexico Things to Do
- updated a New Mexico Travelogue "Bosque Del Apache NWR"
- Commented on one of tini58de's New Mexico travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Mexico Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Waikiki Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Wahiawa Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (93)
Top New Mexico hotels
- Albuquerque Hotels
- 723 Reviews - 1449 Photos
- Santa Fe Hotels
- 636 Reviews - 1220 Photos
- Roswell Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 167 Photos
- Taos Hotels
- 176 Reviews - 427 Photos
- Gallup Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Las Cruces Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Ruidoso Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 56 Photos
- Carlsbad Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 126 Photos
- Raton Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Artesia Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Farmington Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Santa Rosa Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Alamogordo Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Moriarty Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Silver City Hotels
- 65 Reviews - 134 Photos