"Studebaker Factory Complex Remains" Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Travelogue by sambarnett
South Bend Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 234 photos
Today it makes an interesting backdrop at Coveleski Stadium but in the mid twentieth century it churned out some nice rides and for over one hundred years Studebaker was a major player in the transportation business. Beyond the first base side of the ballpark set the remains of the the main area of production and planning for the Studebaker Corporation.
Built mostly between 1890-1928 although one building dates to 1878 and three were added between 1942 and 1946, the complex covers 125 acres. And although holes in the landscape exist well over half of the original buildings remain from Plant One and Two.
I'm not that interesting in automobiles but industrial landscapes yes, so one day before a game I ventured south of the New York Central railroad.
I believe this is the entry to the industrial relations building, but I'm not sure. I'll bet it was something in its 1928 heyday.
One of the last structures built in the complex. Constructed in 1946, the first floor was a receiving dock and paint lab. On the second floor, body parts sub-assembly.
This one story brick structure is the oldest in the complex, dating from 1878. The building and an annex built in 1890 were used in the 1950s and '60s to house company security and fire departments.
The tallest building in the complex. The 1923 Body and Trim Fabrication and Assembly Building had six floors & basement for a total of 524,376 square feet. At its peak the production rate was 80 units per hour.
This four story administration building was built in 1908. From the top down were executive, accounting, sales and car ordering. Today the building is home to the South Bend school system.
- See All New York Central Union Station
- City Center Building
- See All DeRhodes Home
- South Bend Silver Hawks baseball
sambarnett's Related Pages
South Bend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "God, Country, Notre Dame"
- "South Bend, Indiana"
- "MY home town.. South Bend, IN :("
- "Golden Domers and Silver Hawks"
- "Notre Dame / South Bend"
- "River City On My Mind"
- "What Is Michiana?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Bend
- Hotels in South Bend
- Transportation in South Bend
- Nightlife in South Bend
- Restaurants in South Bend
- Shopping in South Bend
- Warnings and Dangers in South Bend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Bend
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to South Bend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Bend
- Posted in Travel Kentucky Forum "hotels in the central area"
- Commented on one of meteorologist1's South Bend travel pages
- updated a South Bend Travelogue "Studebaker Factory Complex Remains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Studebaker Factory Complex Remains"
- Wrote a Review New York Central Union Station in South Bend Off The Beaten Path
Photos in South BendSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues