"More Photos of Fort Monroe from 2000" Hampton Travelogue by grandmaR
Hampton Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 134 photos
Moat to East Gate. Right inside this gate is Quarters #1, which is the oldest quarters on the post. I didn't take a picture because the people who lived there were outside working in the yard. Many distinguished visitors have stayed in Quarters #1 including Abraham Lincoln and the Marquis de Lafayette.
View from the top of the Chamberlain Hotel with boats approaching from the Chesapeake.
Jefferson Davis Memorial Park (which I thought was a strange thing to have where he was held prisoner) is on the ramparts. It has a gunnery track for a 15 inch Rodman gun.
The old cistern is right next to the Postern Gate. For many years, Fort Monroe obtained drinking water from cisterns like this one.
Fort Monroe is named in honor of President James Monroe and is the largest stone fort ever built in the U.S. Construction began in 1819, and it has been continuously occupied since 1823.
The moat goes all the way around the fort walls, but the fort is not directly on the water. There is a band of land around the outside of the moat.
Looking northeast from the top of the hotel, down on the buildings near the hotel. The flag can be seen on the ramparts, and some of the fort walls are visible.
- See All Campground
- See All Robert E. Lee's Quarters
- See All Railroad
- See All Old Point Comfort
- See All Fort Recreational Land and Water Use
grandmaR's Related Pages
Hampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hampton, Virginia Beach, Norfolk"
- "Old Point Comfort and Fort Monroe"
- "Hampton by the Sea"
- "Hampton, Virginia"
- "s.l.keeling's new Hampton Page"
- "Hampton Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampton
- Hotels in Hampton
- Transportation in Hampton
- Nightlife in Hampton
- Restaurants in Hampton
- Shopping in Hampton
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampton
- 23 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Hampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampton
Photos in HamptonSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues