"2000, November 28 ICW South past Charleston" James Island Travelogue by grandmaR

James Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 10 photos

November 28, 2000 - Tuesday

Tuesday morning, we left about 8:30. We didn't leave before that because the Wappoo Creek Bridge doesn't open between 6:30 and 9. I didn't sleep very well last night and I watched TV too late (Monday night football, but I don't know who won.).

Bob went up to the office to give them back their phone book etc., and I started the engine. It took me 3 tries and then I had to put it into neutral by pulling the little tab out.

We cruised across the harbor - me at the wheel having a heart attack because Bob was stowing the lines and the gate in the life lines was open and he didn't have his life vest on. The sun was in my eyes but we managed to get across the harbor. There wasn't much traffic. Then we went along the Battery in Charleston where all the big old homes are. (above)

Wappo Creek

I called the Wappo Creek Bridge, and the woman answered in a foreign accent. I don't think she understood English very well - she only gave set replies and never really answered any questions. She said she was opening at 9:30 and 10. I thought we might make the 9:30 opening, but Bob thought not. So we circled there in the Ashley River until about 9:45.

After we went under the bridge, Bob saw some dolphins and we passed a 4 masted tall ship. Two boats were behind us at the bridge including an Island Packet named ISHMAEL. A motor boat with bikes on the swim platform passed us but Bob steered into the wake and we hardly noticed. They passed the next boat up and I guess they weren't paying attention because the sailboat really tossed and rolled violently.

Elliot Cut

We went through Elliot Cut (fortunately the current wasn't too bad) and up towards the Limehouse bridge on the Stono River.

We thought the Limehouse bridge opened on the hour and half hour.(Figuring how much speed to go at to get to a specific place at a specific time - taking current and wind into account is a little like I imagine rally driving would be.) We saw that the Limehouse Bridge opened at 11, and slowed down so that we could go through at 11:30. The boats ahead of us, however, got to the bridge at 11:10, and the bridge opened for them.

Limehouse Bridge

I called on the radio to ask when it was scheduled to open. Did not get any response. Finally, after I'd given up and gone back into the cockpit, the bridge answered. She said she opened on demand. So we went through by ourselves.

and on South of Charleston

We went by a shipyard which does contract work for the armed forces.

Next anchoring in the Dawho River Marshes at Mile 501

• Page Updated Apr 16, 2009

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in James Island

Have you been to James Island?