"2000, November 28 ICW South past Charleston" James Island Travelogue by grandmaR
James Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 10 photos
Tuesday morning, we left about 8:30. We didn't leave before that because the Wappoo Creek Bridge doesn't open between 6:30 and 9. I didn't sleep very well last night and I watched TV too late (Monday night football, but I don't know who won.).
Bob went up to the office to give them back their phone book etc., and I started the engine. It took me 3 tries and then I had to put it into neutral by pulling the little tab out.
We cruised across the harbor - me at the wheel having a heart attack because Bob was stowing the lines and the gate in the life lines was open and he didn't have his life vest on. The sun was in my eyes but we managed to get across the harbor. There wasn't much traffic. Then we went along the Battery in Charleston where all the big old homes are. (above)
I called the Wappo Creek Bridge, and the woman answered in a foreign accent. I don't think she understood English very well - she only gave set replies and never really answered any questions. She said she was opening at 9:30 and 10. I thought we might make the 9:30 opening, but Bob thought not. So we circled there in the Ashley River until about 9:45.
After we went under the bridge, Bob saw some dolphins and we passed a 4 masted tall ship. Two boats were behind us at the bridge including an Island Packet named ISHMAEL. A motor boat with bikes on the swim platform passed us but Bob steered into the wake and we hardly noticed. They passed the next boat up and I guess they weren't paying attention because the sailboat really tossed and rolled violently.
We went through Elliot Cut (fortunately the current wasn't too bad) and up towards the Limehouse bridge on the Stono River.
We thought the Limehouse bridge opened on the hour and half hour.(Figuring how much speed to go at to get to a specific place at a specific time - taking current and wind into account is a little like I imagine rally driving would be.) We saw that the Limehouse Bridge opened at 11, and slowed down so that we could go through at 11:30. The boats ahead of us, however, got to the bridge at 11:10, and the bridge opened for them.
I called on the radio to ask when it was scheduled to open. Did not get any response. Finally, after I'd given up and gone back into the cockpit, the bridge answered. She said she opened on demand. So we went through by ourselves.
grandmaR's Related Pages
James Island Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in James Island
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (523)
Have you been to James Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in James Island
Photos in James IslandSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues