"2000, November 22-27 Thanksgiving" Mount Pleasant Travelogue by grandmaR

Mount Pleasant Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 70 photos

We found it was a lot cheaper to stay for a week, and that meant that we got a regular slip and did not have to stay on the outer dock (like this boat) where you are subject to wakes and more wind and current than the inner slips.

Wednesday, November 22, 2000

Our son and DIL and the kids came over in two cars intending to leave us one. We had intended to sleep on the boat and rent a car to get back and forth, but being a holiday weekend there were no rental cars, and our son wanted us to come and stay at their house. Eventually, I went home with my DIL and the kids and Bob and our son took the scuba bottles to be refilled and did some shopping, and Bob dropped our son off at work. I opened the one mail package, and looked at the other packages that were there, checking to see what had come and took a shower. After dinner, our DIL and Bob drove over and dropped the car off for our son to get home at 1 am.

Packages - apparently everything has come that I ordered except those for the family of our daughter in Miami.


Our DIL went to work at 8, and our son took care of the kids and started the turkey. She had precooked just about everything else including making cranberry sauce. They let her off early, so she was home right after 1, and we had a nice dinner and a relaxing day. I even got to cut Bob's hair finally. Talked to two of our daughters on the phone and found that the packages to Miami had gotten there.

November 24, 2000 - Friday

On Friday our DIL went to work again. A second package of mail came. I called the home phone number billing, and discovered that since I had limited service (pay a charge for every outgoing call - which I thought would be sensible since I wasn't going to be making any calls) meant that every time voice mail was accessed, that was charged as an outgoing call. I was outraged. My bill was the same as when I was there. No messages because most calls were telemarketers or wrong numbers or someone who hung up without leaving a message, but a charge for every one. So I told them to take their voice mail OFF.

I also discovered that USAA hadn't removed the collision on the cars like I told them to. I was quite upset about that, as it increased our bill by a lot. We still hadn't gotten the LectraSan control panel

Bob and our son went shopping in the a.m while our DIL was at work (Bob wanted a sewing awl to repair the bimini curtains where the thread was dry rotting - our son eventually found one at a stable. We also bought a phone so we could hook up to phone service at marinas if necessary. I gave the cord to the wall to them so that they could hook both their bedroom phone and the computer up at the same time. And Bob got an additional extension cable for our TV.) We all got into the car and went to the Piggly Wiggly to get groceries and ice, and then down to the marina.

Our DIL was to meet us after work so we could go on the Yorktown, but we finished up sooner than we expected, and drove over to the parking lot hoping to intercept her. She came past and the kids all waved, but she didn't see us, and it took us about an hour to find her again.

We went on the Yorktown first and looked at the planes. Our grandson, granddaughter and DIL went on the flight simulator. Bob was very annoyed at how they'd carved up the Yorktown and filled it with exhibits and planes that had nothing to do with that ship so it wasn't a bit like when he was on it. I think our grandson enjoyed it though.

As it got dark, we went down into the submarine, which he had also been on- that was much more like the original. It was so late, that we went to a restaurant for dinner. The kids were pretty tired by then.

November 25, 2000 - Saturday

Our son left about 1 a.m. to go to work and took the Jeep. Bob wanted to get gas in the car and then go to the air station and shop, but it was raining off and on. We finally went anyway. We saw our son's truck (he was working at Hess Oil as a delivery driver) at the base. Our granddaughter had a birthday party after lunch,- fortunately our son got home almost in time for her to go because her mom didn't have a car. Our DIL had left us some delicious turkey sandwiches for lunch.

November 26, 2000 - Sunday

In the morning, our son took us down to the boat with all our various purchases, and then left for work. We walked up to the marina office to straighten out the billing and the phone line, and went up and got another barbecue sandwich.

November 27, 2000 - Monday

Monday I did a few more rounds with LectraSan (who were closed from Weds to Mon) while Bob took the hotel van over to Charleston to shop. He brought back pralines. LectraSan claimed that they'd shipped us the part (and charged our credit card for it) and that UPS sent it to California by mistake. Our son (who used to work for UPS) said they probably never sent it. I told them to send another one to Barbara in Miami. I spend some time on the computer doing e-mail, and we went up to the hotel for dinner at the regular dining room. I had a steak which I brought most of it back. We had sherbet for dessert.

We are leaving tomorrow heading for Miami. Next: Dawho River.

  • Page Updated Apr 16, 2009
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse



“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 2 5
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 6 8

Badges & Stats in Mount Pleasant

  • 9 Reviews
  • 53 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 15,653PageViews

Have you been to Mount Pleasant?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Mount Pleasant

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)