"Camping at Snæfellsnes 17th-20th of July 2003" Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travelogue by snorril
Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 401 photos
We started this day by visiting Djúpalónssandur with some interesting rock formations and the Trial-of-strength stones.
We only got a glimpse of the area because we had already booked a snow-scooter tour on Snæfellsjöull glacier and we were running late.
After an interesting ride on our Toyota Corolla ´91 up the gravel road towards the snowline on Snæfellsjökull we finally arrived at Snjófells camp. Snjófell is the travel company that arranges tours to Snæfellsjökull.
We got our gear but had to wait for almost an hour because other tour members didn´t show up on time (an hour better spent exploring Djúpalónssandur better, but hey).
The snow scooter ride was great fun but probably more fun in any other month of the year. The glacier was melting away and huges cracks had revealed themselves all over the place. So we are only allowed to drive in a straight line towards the top, in really hard conditions. The tour guide really scared the hell out of everybody when he explained conditions and said he had already lost two scooters that day and didn´t want to lose any more!
The trip was still great, you probably cannot have better weather than we did that day and the views are magnificent. Now I have conquered Mt. Snæfellsjökull by two means, my feet and the scooter, and I have got to tell you arriving by feet gives you a lot better feel you´ve earned it.
After our Snæfellsjökull adventure we drove to the northern part of Snæfellsnes peninsula and headed for Stykkishólmur. We drove over Fróðarárheiði heath, along the northern coast through Grundarfjörður. Grundarfjöður is a small fishing town that is home to some strong fishing company. It is a nice town with stunning surroundings.
I hadn´t been to Stykkishólmur since I was a little boy and I was really impressed with the town. We stayed at the local campground, which was nice. The swimmigpool is also one of the best in Iceland and we renewed our childhood with half-a-dozen trips in the slide.
I was especially impressed with Stykkishólmur´s harbour area. The bustling harbour and the old houses make it a great fun to stroll around the place. From the harbour various boat-tours on Breiðafjörður are on offer. These tours are becoming really popular. The ferry between Stykkishólmur and Brjánslækur is also a great choice for those heading for Westfjords.
More Travelogues (1)
snorril's Related Pages
Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA - WHAT A MAGICAL PLACE!"
- "The Snaefellsnes Peninsula"
- "beautiful, beautiful; stunningly beautiful!"
- "Camping at Snæfellsnes 17th-20th of July 2003"
- "Glacier, Bird Cliffs, Wilderness"
- "Sharrie's Arnastapi Charm"
- "A Great Weekend at Snæfellsnes Pennisula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Hotels in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Transportation in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Restaurants in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Traveling around Iceland with..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Snowscooter on Snæfellsjökull"
- Wrote a Review Grundarfjörður in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travelogue "Camping at Snæfellsnes 17th-20th of July 2003"
Photos in Snæfellsnes- og HnappadalssýslaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla 12 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naxos Island Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjanes Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Þingvellir Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Prefecture of Chania Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos