"Four More Times in Melbourne" Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Travelogue by grandmaR

Melbourne Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 181 photos

#1 - October 1999, by land

The first time we went to Melbourne was October 1999 to the SSCA (Seven Seas Association) meeting. We drove up from Miami (our daughter lent us her car).

The hotel where we had reservations had screwed things up and we had to stay in the next town.

Spent most of the time at the convention, and not much out in town.

#2 - December 14-15, 2000

After we visited with friends anchored near the Eau Galle bridge, we felt we'd not make it to Ft. Pierce, so we went to Melbourne Harbor Marina at MM 918.5

I was not to impressed with this place. They require an imprint of a credit card for $30 for their restroom key. The dockmaster we talked to was an idiot who had a sort of semi-hostile jokey manner. They put us in a slip with barely 5 feet of water. He waited until we were halfway in to ask if we'd rather go to another slip. The area smelled of sewage, there was a highway right behind us and a train trestles right behind that. Trains went through at all hours of the day and night - whistling continuously.

You can get ice cheaper just up the stairs at the gas station next to the highway. Three bags at the marina is $4.50, and at the gas station 3 bags is $3.45. The price is $1.25/foot, but that includes electricity and cable. We walked up into town, and there is a deli that is open for lunch that is reasonable, and we went to Bella's for dinner which is about a block down.

Be careful crossing the street -the walk sign is only on for about 3 nanoseconds and it is a wide street with 4 or 5 lanes. You have to get across half of it before the walk goes on, or there's no hope.

They did let me use the fax to download e-mail, but I had to balance the computer on the edge of a file drawer.

Every time Bob turned on the depth sounder, we had less water under us in the slip.

The scuba bottle let loose all its air suddenly last night about 9 pm. Made a terrible racket.

December 15 - We got out of the very shallow slip with me at the wheel and Bob ready to fend off, but everything went well. I was afraid that they would have to tow us out through the mud.

Next: Anchoring in Fort Pierce

#3 - March 14, 2001- Coming North

We left Ft. Pierce and went to Melbourne where we anchored north of the bridge. There was only one other person there (a power boat way down south of us), and we spent a peaceful calm night.

Then we went back to Titusville.

The journal of the next visit in the fall of 2001 is in the Intro.

#5 - Coming North - March 14, 2002

As we left Ft. Pierce, we noted two boats anchored on the SW side of the cement plant between marker 186 and 187.

I called Intercoastal Marina for a slip this time because after Bob's heart attack I was unwilling to anchor and we didn't want to go back to Melbourne Marina. They were having a trawler convention at Melbourne Marina so we probably wouldn't have been able to get a slip there anyway.

Skipper Bob was there, but we missed meeting him. We also missed meeting a guy from the Live-Aboard List who lives on his boat in a far corner of Intercoastal Marina.

The harbor master at Intercoastal clearly had no idea what type boat we had - he was going to put us in a slip that was much too small and also much too shallow. As we were coming in, he changed the directions on the radio, and put us between big power boats where there was only 50 amp service and no splitter. The whole marina was cluttered with small power boats for a show they were having the next day - it was hard to find your way around the boats to the bathrooms.

We went to the restaurant which was right over our heads and had the Early Bird Specials, which were quite reasonable. They had things on the menu like East Coast Lobster Cake and Clearwater Crab Cake. I don't know how a Clearwater crab cake would differ from any other kind of crab cake.

In any case, the restaurant was having Thirsty Thursday, with a loud DJ and music played right by the boat until the wee hours. Anchoring would have been preferable.

An email from the resident boater after we left said:
"I have lived at the Intercoastal Marina for 2 years now and understand what you are talking about. ... The next item on the agenda is the restoration of the showers/bathrooms. We have a commitment that they will be tiled and restored this summer. As for Thirsty Thursdays, it doesn't look like there is anything we can do. That is the restaurant's big money night and without it he would probably have to shut the place down.

"One of the big trawlers up front plays opera music over a loud speaker to compete with the DJ. Luckily, I live as far away from the bar as possible.. I do hear the DJ every once in a while when I am outside but I hear nothing once I am inside. (although I do get a strange parade of characters through my "front lawn" at weird hours of the night. Seems they like the Adirondack chairs and tiki torches I have on the dock in front of the boat. Some of the teenage boy/girl conversations are quite humorous. I wonder if they know I can hear them?!?)"

March 15, 2002 - left the marina early. The wind was calm and the water was flat. Went to Titusville.

• Page Updated Mar 4, 2014

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne