"Landscapes of Namibia, a varied and beautiful land" Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Travelogue by 850prc
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,211 reviews and 6,563 photos
Sunlight can paint a lovely view almost anywhere in Namibia. But out in the Namib-Naukluft desert, there are more opportunities for nature to express her artistic hues.
Those mountains are all basically blue or purple....but how many different shades appear in the photo?
The huge sand dunes that one finds in the Namib-Naukluft desert are rare occurrences on earth. Only in the northern Sahara can this phenomenon really be duplicated.
The dunes are formed by strong seasonal winds that flow both to and from the ocean, dusting sand back and forth across the dusty Namib desert.
In northern Namibia, so much depends on the annual rains. On the massive Etosha Pan, the rainy season will fill and overflow many "waterholes", providing sustenance for the great numbers of animals resident in the Namibian bush.
As the dry winter drones on, the water slowly disappears, forcing the animals to travel longer and longer distances to quench their thirst.
There are a few spring-fed permanent waterholes. But, they are few and far between for the parched residents of the Etosha National Park. They may not look like much to an outsider, but to the thirsty springbok, lion and elephants, they're truly heaven.
Termites are the architects of the insect world. Throughout the vast expanse of Namibia's Kalahari desert, there are termite equivalents of the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, and the Eiffel Tower.
And, I didn't see any of them that had begun "leaning".......
Damaraland is one of the most remote and undeveloped parts of Namibia.
If you're looking for civilization and comfort, keep looking. But if beauty is, to you, a pristine environment constituting many hard edges blended into a pleasing effect, then Damaraland might as well be the Louvre.
Parts of southern Damaraland really did look more like "Bedrock" from the old Flintstones cartoons. Nothing but huge, huge boulders, followed up by more boulders. It's hard to believe that plant and animal life actually thrive in this environment, but some do.
Taking a hike in this area is really a challenge, but getting way out away from everyone and everything else makes the view and trip worth it.
Most of Namibia is a dusty desert, where annual rainfall in precious and uncertain. However, nearer the coast, there are areas, Swakopmund for example, that receive a more adequate level of precipitation. The contrasting difference in terrain and vegetation is apparent, as you can see.
In my opinion, Swakopmund was a most liveable city. Very well kept, quiet and civilized.
- See All Stars, celebrities, scoundrels...
- See All Exhibitionism while bathing, part II
- See All See and sample the Springboks
- See All Pick up a copy of "When Hippo was Hairy"
- See All Sundowners....a civilized way to end...
850prc's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 61 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of smirnofforiginal's Namibia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Stars, celebrities, scoundrels... in Namibia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stars, celebrities, scoundrels..."
- updated a Namibia Travel Page "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues