"The Ombili School, near Tsumeb" Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Travelogue by 850prc
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,148 reviews and 6,268 photos
The Ombili foundation and school, located near Tsumeb in northern Namibia, is dedicated to providing education and training to the previously nomadic San people of the region.
Supported largely by the Lions' Club of Mosbach, Germany, Ombili (which means peace) was founded in 1989. In addition to school for about 300 children, ages 4 - 16 or so, the foundation provides training in agriculture, supports health care, and helps the native peoples to hone and market their native crafts as a business. Ombili is giving these ancient people a really good opportunity to tame the 21st century.
Ombili, besides being a school, supports several different healthcare initiatives. This is the 1st San generation that will really be familiar with the ideas of modern medicine and dentistry.
As for dentistry, one of the first things an Ombili kindergartener learns is how to brush his or her teeth. These Ombili kids really love tooth-brushing time. And, when they're done, their favorite thing is to throw the remaining water (from their cup) into the sky. When you're taking their photographs, it's something you need to be aware of.
In the Bushman village that now surrounds the Ombili school, many traditional practices still exist. This would include steps for preparing a meal.
The Ombili foundation encourages the continued practice of native craft-making. While functional in the sense that the people make items for which their lives still have use, it also offers another source of sustainable income.
Many of the crafts made by the resident San are for sale at Ombili, effectively cutting out the middleman. All profits go straight to the school and community.
There is an extremely strong bond of family among the San people. They know and honor their descendants, and they all care for the children of the village. In general, we noted that each few years of life seemed to bring another level of responsibility for the San to care for his or her younger brothers and sisters.
Community and family are the same thing in the Bushman world.
Ombili has a choir, composed mostly of older students. They are excellent, performing a repertoire that includes western church songs, traditional Namibian and African tunes and German musik.
Most of their songs are done "a capella", as in unaccompanied by a musical instrument. Occasionally, a drummer joins in.
There are CDs available at Ombili of this talented choir's work. We bought one, and to this day enjoy the magic of their perfectly blended voices singing about Africa.
This little San boy was hanging around watching his elders pound the millet seed into the makings of a bowl of porridge.
We kept fretting that he'd get his tiny fingers mashed, but somehow he managed to stay just out of harm's way.
- See All Stars, celebrities, scoundrels...
- See All Exhibitionism while bathing, part II
- See All See and sample the Springboks
- See All Pick up a copy of "When Hippo was Hairy"
- See All Sundowners....a civilized way to end...
850prc's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Piliyandala Hotels
- Puerto de la Cruz
- Moody Beach Hotels
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
- Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Wesley Chapel Hotels
- Island Beach State Park Hotels
- Tannehill State Park
- St. Croix
- Cainta Hotels
- Everglades City
- Pulau Pangkor
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 61 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of smirnofforiginal's Namibia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Stars, celebrities, scoundrels... in Namibia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stars, celebrities, scoundrels..."
- updated a Namibia Travel Page "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (164)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Namibia hotels
- Windhoek Hotels
- 233 Reviews - 839 Photos
- Swakopmund Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Namib-Naukluft Park Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 397 Photos
- Waterberg Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Otjiwarongo Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Ondangwa Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Luderitz Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Katima Mulilo Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Etosha National Park Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 539 Photos
- Daan Viljoen Game Park Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Walvisbaai Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 148 Photos
- Fish River Canyon Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos