"The American Sierra Leone connection" Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Leone Travelogue by Ekahau
Sierra Leone Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 176 photos
FOUNDER OF FREETOWN is an American
This is an something I wrote some years ago and is now on the Sierra-leone.org web page and is used here with their permission.
Thomas Peters was a courageous Afro-American whose efforts made possible the founding of Freetown.
He was born a slave in the North American colonies and worked in his master's flour mill in North Carolina. During the American Revolution, Peters ran away and joined the British Army, becoming a sergeant in the Black Pioneers. When the British lost the war, they evacuated Peters and hundreds of other Black Loyalists to Nova Scotia — but after seven years in Canada, the former slaves had still received no land and were living only on a meagre government ration and suffering from the cold.
Peters, though poor and uneducated, found the courage to travel to England in search of help for his people. He was in grave danger from the moment he left Canada, as he was still legally a slave in the newly-independent United States, and could have been taken there and sold back into slavery by an unscrupulous sea captain. But Thomas Peters managed to reach London, and he convinced the Sierra Leone Company to send ships to help his people establish a colony in Africa.
He then returned to Nova Scotia and, by sheer force of personality, persuaded over eleven hundred former slaves to join him in the voyage to Sierra Leone. Thomas Peters and his "Nova Scotians" founded Freetown in 1792 near the site of the Province of Freedom, which had been destroyed several years earlier.
But problems soon developed when the white men of the Sierra Leone Company insisted on running the colony as they saw fit. Thomas Peters confronted the English commander, demanding that his people run their own affairs through an elected committee, but he was unsuccessful in his attempt to establish self-rule. He died shortly afterwards, a victim of malaria in the colony's first rainy season.
Thomas Peters was totally committed to freedom, and fought for it until the very last day of his life. More than anyone else, he exemplifies the spirit of hope and determination that gave birth to the city of Freetown.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Jun 20, 2007
Sierra Leone history for the savvy traveler
Written Jul 13, 2003
- Buy someone a future and hope with a...
- See All Freetowns Best Mammy Yoko Hotel Lumley
- See All Internet cafes and e-mail
- See All check in with the tourist police
- Nightclub light
- See All Music village serenade
Ekahau's Related Pages
Sierra Leone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ekahau's new Sierra Leone Page"
- "How di body?"
- "Craig's Sierra Leone Page"
- "Sierra Leone"
- ""A diamond in the rough""
- "Sierra Leone"
- "Sierra Leone-Land of Hope"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sierra Leone
- Hotels in Sierra Leone
- Transportation in Sierra Leone
- Nightlife in Sierra Leone
- Restaurants in Sierra Leone
- Shopping in Sierra Leone
- Warnings and Dangers in Sierra Leone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sierra Leone
- 33 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Sierra Leone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sierra Leone
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- updated a Sierra Leone Travel Page "Ekahau's new Sierra Leone Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Buy someone a future and hope with a goat"
- Wrote a Review Buy someone a future and hope with a goat in Sierra Leone Shopping
- Commented on one of kim83_50158's Sierra Leone travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues