"Reflecting on a Goddess Life" Personal Page by aphrodyte
I have always thought that if there was ever such a thing as re-incarnation, then I am sure that in one of my former lives I must have been a pirate or a privateer. I hear the waves of the ocean calling to me and I long for the feel of salt-spray kissing my parched lips. I dream about how facinating it would have been to navigate under the stars and fight battles with the skill of your sword and cannon. ( I read too many romance novels when I was younger -- *heh*)
Anyway, re-incarnation NOTHING! I learned the hard way that I am one SEA-SICK PUPPY on a boat! Take the maximum dosage of dramamine and call me in the morning. Never again! Just the thought of the swaying...the pitch and roll...the pitch...and...roll. (ooohh, I'm feeling some nausea coming on.) Ugh!
Jet boats and wave runners do not bother me. I love the exhilaration. I get a little sun burned...but never sick. It must be the big ships or heaven forbid I'm on a yacht, or worse another large ferry boat! (*faint*)
For kicks, my brother and sister have been trying to convince me that we should go on one of those cruises, the kind that's suppose to be larger than the Empire State building.
Give me a royal heart attack! Didn't I just say I get SEA-SICK??
"Oh no no," they say, "It's much bigger and you won't feel the waves."
They just want to see me miserable. It's a conspiracy.
There is this one picture of me totally wasted at a Ren Fair in Texas floating around somewhere. You can really tell I was an absolute LUSH! (If you find it...can you please return it...It's incrimiating! heh)
Anyway, the very first ren fair I went to was the Kansas City Renaissance Fair. I was 18 and hung up on the idea of romance, chivalry, and twue wuve!
I'm not quite sure what the winning formula is as why a ren fair is so alluring. For me, I alway liked the challenge of creating a non-existent person and passing her off as someone real or could have been real.
And...well...of course there is the flirting...and drinking...and clothes...and drinking...and trinkets...and drinking...and knights in shining armour...and wine tasting...and elves...drinking...and pretty much more drinking!
I don't think I've ever left a fair thinking I've wasted my time. (like at a movie theater after watching -insert Kevin Kostner movie-)
SO WHAT THE HELL IS A RENNIE??
A brillian question...A rennie is an affectionado of renaissance faires and festivals. Do not mistake rennies for SCAers, SCAers take great pains to be authentic in the recreation of the medieval/renaissance periods, Rennies revel in the fiction of the medieval/renaisance era.
The mark of a rennie is someone who has two sets of clothes, regular wear and ren wear. A rennie is not afraid of wearing COMPLETELY outdated clothing IN PUBLIC and still look really snazzy. Rennies know the difference between a skirt and a kilt and they don't mind if you want to handle their swords. Rennies have a different way of keeping track of the seasons. For example, from Jan to March--Florida renfairs, May to June--STL renfair, Aug-- Mich renfair, Aug to Oct--KC renfair, Oct-- Texas renfair, Nov-- Louisiana renfair, and back again. Rennies watch the weather channel and local weather religiously (just in case they need to bring the heavy cloak or the light one). Rennies are very friendly and flirtacious, they are also flirtacious with the cup of ale/mead that you have with you. Rennies know the 14th through 16th european centuries like the palm of their hands, but if you ask them about the American Industrial Revolution, they're eyes glaze over.
Halloween to a rennie is like...I don't know...fore play.
As with many things in my life, I do them by "flying by the seat of my pants". I'm hardly serious, and it's very rare that someone would pin the word "sensible" on me.
It's an absolute wonder that I belong to the medical field. But here I am, and enjoying every minute of it. I started out with the idea that I should become an RN but have branched out into another field of medicine...the pharmaceutical side!
I work part time at a hotel...not for the money...but for the benefits...cuz let's face it...a discounted hotel room is AWESOME!
I love Phantom of the Opera. I am trivia queen of Phantom of the Opera.
I have always secretly wished Christine ran away with the Phantom instead of Raoul. But, unfortunately, beauty and money wins over genius...such a pity.
So far, I have been to:
Hard Rock San Antonio
Hard Rock Memphis
Hard Rock Toronto
Hard Rock Las Vegas
Hard Rock New Orleans
Hard Rock Niagara Falls
I'm working on going to a few more this year...woo hoo!
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Jan 2, 2012
Travelling isn't fun without a friend.
Written Mar 19, 2010
Something About the Apple not Falling Far...
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 149 Reviews
- 451 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
- Posted in Travel Kansas City Forum "Re: kc vs raytown vs indepence"
- created a Fredericksburg Travel Page "There's a whole lotta 'LOVE' in Fredericksburg, VA"
- aphrodyte and crowepie are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "YES....I'M THE CRAZY ONE."
- Commented on akkipaa's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Wise Old Owl Art Gallery!"
- Wrote a Review Mud-less on Mud Island about Mud Island in Memphis Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 37 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Memphis Intro, 5 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Island Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Nashville Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winnipeg Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Spokane Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22471 Reviews - 55005 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3096 Reviews - 5870 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos