"2002 Trip Part 12 - Return from West End" Fort Pierce Travelogue by grandmaR
Fort Pierce Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 112 photos
We left the West End, Grand Bahama on Tues am about 6:15 for the long trip to Ft. Pierce.
We "surfed" across doing 92 nm in 13 hours. We were doing 9 knots in the Gulf Stream, with 12 knots being the most we saw. We came into Ft. Pierce at about 6:15, and were tied up at the fuel dock and logged in with customs before 7.
They left us on the fuel dock the first night because we got in at dusk, and the dockmaster felt it would be too hard with the wind and current to get to the transient slips at night (He was RIGHT). There is no current at the fixed fuel dock. Plus it was pretty dark by that time and the fuel dock guy would have had to walk all the way around the marina to do it - he was just going off duty when we got in.
We went to the local restaurant and ate dinner and fell into bed, but Bob had trouble sleeping because of the trains. (No trains in the Bahamas)
I think Bob couldn't sleep because he was overtired.
The next day, they put us over on the transient dock (top photo.
We spend the next day recovering and visiting folks on other boats like ours.
There are 10 showers as they have built a new bathhouse/laundry room on the north side. There is an email connection on the south side.
There was so much current at the transient docks, that there were local fish which hid from the pelicans by swimming between the boats and the dock.
We helped the power boater from across the dock to get into the dock - he'd gone out fishing, and even a power boat has a problem in this current.
CAROLINA who left West End at the same time as we did bound for Lake Worth came in later in the afternoon. They apparently had a terrible time crossing the Gulf Stream, and also a bad time coming up from Lake Worth.
Armed with information from Carol (of CAROLINA) we walked up in town. The marina information says it is right in the center of town close to restaurants, but we got lost, and walked through an industrial section before we found anything.
We did have a nice dinner. We ate by the window and watched the gallery across the alley which was having a wine and cheese art showing. There was an artist outside on the sidewalk doing a painting.
We left the next morning at slack tide. We'd watched other people being carried helplessly down the fairway by the current, almost hitting other boats, so we had to make a plan. We still had a little trouble getting out because of the current. We had to use the max rpms of the engine.
From here we went to Melbourne to the Intercoastal Marina.
More Travelogues (5)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Pierce Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ft. Pierce - jumping off point"
- "fort pierce, florida"
- "Running from Frances"
- "A quieter part of Florida"
- "Fort Pierce, an oasis of rest in wild wild Florida"
- "Rick_and_Lin's new Fort Pierce Page"
- "jwander's new Fort Pierce Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Pierce
- Hotels in Fort Pierce
- Nightlife in Fort Pierce
- Restaurants in Fort Pierce
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Pierce
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Pierce
- 15 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Fort Pierce?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Pierce
Photos in Fort PierceSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Fort Pierce hotel reviews
- Sleep Inn Fort Pierce
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Motel 6 Fort Pierce
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Dockside Inn & Resort
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Sandhurst Hotel Fort Pierce
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Fountain Resort
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Pierce Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013