"The Via Appia Antica I" Rome Travelogue by martin_nl
Rome Travel Guide: 11,964 reviews and 26,451 photos
We actually started our day going to the Pyramide of Caius Cestius, after which we also went to the Baths of Caracalla. From the Baths of Caracalla it is only a short walk to the start of the Via Appia Antica, the oldest paved road outside Rome. Of course there are just like the saying goes many roads to Rome, but to walk on this one is very special.
The road starts where the Aurelian walls end. In the wall is the Museo della Murra, which is very interesting to go to, so you can have a look at the history of the Aurelian walls and have a look from the towers at the beginning of the Via Appia Antica.
From the top of the Museo delle Murra you can see this nice arch. It is part of the earlier walls.
Here you see the Chiesa Domine Quo Vadis? church. We just got in the church and when we wanted to get out about 50 people entered all at once. Yep you're right a bus just stopped in front of it.
At the church the road splits into three directions. The most scenic would be to take the middle one. The right one will get you somewhere else, and the left one continues on the busy road.
When you take the middle one it will ead you to the Catacombs of San Callisto.
After the Catacombs of San Callisto, you continue on the same road and eventually you will get to the Circo Massenzio.
When going in May take along a book with you. And maybe a blanket and a picnic basket. You might think I'm cray, but you'll be glad I advised you. It is some peacefull and quiet here you have to experience it for yourself.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Aug 22, 2003
The Baths of Caracalla
Written Aug 22, 2003
The Via Appia Antica II
- Great Italian gifts
- Think of where you're spending your...
- Free nightlife spot
- See All Tomba di Cecilia Metella
martin_nl's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 94 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: Melbourne to New Zealand"
- updated a Rome Travel Page "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- Commented on one of Mobleydcat's Rome travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Via Appia Antica I"
- Wrote a Review Great Italian gifts about Women's Clothing in Rome Shopping
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue