"Adirondacks" New York State Travelogue by daffodil
New York State Travel Guide: 23,234 reviews and 52,811 photos
There are lots of beautiful places to see around Lake Placid. You can easily see why a town of 1000 could get the Winter Olympics twice. The views are breath-taking. The town is a bit touristy, but it is still very nice to stroll along the main street and walk along the lake. You can also visit the sites of the Olympic events and in Winter there are lots of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. In summer there are many hiking trails off the highways that you can take to the mountain summits and along the beautiful mountian streams.
For Canadians from Ontario and Quebec, Lake Placid is only about 2 hours from Kingston or 2 hours from Montreal. I recomend crossing the border at Prescot and travelling south to highway 3, it is much nicer than taking the Gananoque Crossing and going from Watertown, NY on highway 3.
High Falls Gorge is just outside of Lake Placid on the way to Willimgton. The Falls are more spectacular when there has been alot of rain or in the spring. The fee to get in is quite steep and I am still not convinced that it is worth it, but it is a well laid out self-guided tour, with alot of intesting information.
Whiteface Mountain is not the highest peak in the Adirondacks, but it is accessable by car (you have to pay to drive the several miles upto the top). From the top it offers a great view of the area and especially Lake Placid with its two islands. At the top they have a whole tourist service center that is packed with people in the summmer.
More Travelogues (1)
daffodil's Related Pages
New York State Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New York State"
- "Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York"
- "Road Trip through Upstate New York"
- "Home in the Hudson River Valley"
- "I LOVE NEW YORK-THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY"
- "Welcome to New York State"
- "NY.... Home Sweet Home......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York State
- Hotels in New York State
- Transportation in New York State
- Nightlife in New York State
- Restaurants in New York State
- Shopping in New York State
- Warnings and Dangers in New York State
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in New York State
- 6 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to New York State?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York State
Photos in New York StateSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 44 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Canada Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Ontario Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- New Hampshire Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Saint John Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues
- Monteverde Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
Top New York State hotels
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30944 Photos
- Brooklyn Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 697 Photos
- Syracuse Hotels
- 214 Reviews - 347 Photos
- Buffalo Hotels
- 254 Reviews - 456 Photos
- Lake Placid Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 199 Photos
- East Syracuse Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- 493 Reviews - 1275 Photos
- Montauk Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Rochester Hotels
- 256 Reviews - 465 Photos
- Bronx Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 300 Photos
- Long Island City Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Staten Island Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 85 Photos
- Williamsville Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Flushing Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 67 Photos