"Wild flowers in The Netherlands (so, no tulips)" Netherlands Travelogue by Pavlik_NL
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,492 reviews and 86,811 photos
The wet and furtile soils of The Netherlands have been a good ground for many plants, with or without flowers. The seaclimat that brings not to hot and dry summers as well as not that cold and dry winters, lets nature take it's best shots. The Netherlands are very green as you will find out when travelling through the country. This green gets in spring many extra colours, when all flowers start blossoming and turning our country into a rich pallet of one of our famous painters.
First there's the little "Madeliefje" (I believe it's Daisy in English). Barely topping above the grass it is seen in every field. It's the flower that will give you an answer, whether she loves you ... or not.
All along the dike-sides you will find this one. It's called "Fluitekruid" and that measn something like "Whistling weet" The pipes on which the flowers are topping over the long grass are hollow and can be used as little whistles. As far as I know, the name descends from this.
He/she who doesn't dive deeper into the grass will not see the most wonderful blue flowers that always grow here in between the other larger brothers and sisters. This one doesn't come higher then a few centimeters, but is surely worth looking at for a moment or two.
Most of these flower show there beauty in the early spring, which is in The netherlands March and April. May shows again many other plants and flowers, but more and more the species are not originating from the Dutch grounds.
This one is called "Pinksterbloem" = Whitflower and is rather fragile. The pink little flowers are by the way often much earlier then Whit Sunday (and Monday) and therefor their name is somewhat strange.
Heather is a special plant that can grow on the poor sandy soils of the Veluwe. This plant's purple flowers blossom only in August and September (relatively late) and turn whole areas into seas of lila and purple. A special time to take walks through the heatherfields (Posbank, Rosendaalse veld and more).
Heather is also a flower that attracts many bees. Heatherhoney is one of the most deliscious in the world.
The Netherlands are a waterrich country. The many canals, rivers, ditches, creeks and lakes attract special plantlife and thus also very special flowers. not only waterlelies are a quite normal sight in NL, but also the yellow "Dotters" are to be found in many puddles and pools. This flower is somewhat more seldom and has realy the most splendid form. It's called a "Lisse" and extremely fragile. Never take it home, it won't even survive the journey.
"Brem" (sorry, don't know the English name) is a plant that grows on rough grounds. It covers (and brightens up) the foresty sides of many freeways in the province of Gelderland and can also be found in combination with heather. The bushes blossom bright yellow in April, May and June and attract many insects.
More Travelogues (4)
Written May 27, 2003
"Tamed" Dutch flowers (no, again no tulips)
Written Aug 15, 2003
Biking The Netherlands, best way of getting around
Written Nov 25, 2003
"Sinterklaas", most important Dutch (holy)day
Written Jan 24, 2005
Only in NL: a collection of the weirdest stories
- See All 27th of April, our national holiday:...
- See All Top 20 of largest town
- Cloths for every type of weather (even...
- See All Old "Southern sea" fishermen's villages
- See All Well, in fact they are tiny fluffy...
- Royal shopping
- See All Dense freeway system in two ways
- See All Flowerbulbs as a souvenir ... beware...
- See All Watersport 3: Waterskiing
- Tolerance and suddenly everything is...
- The Netherlands (so not Holland) = off...
- About cafes and terraces
- Good hotelstandard, yet expensive!
Been to Netherlands?Share your travels with the world!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 1,382 Reviews
- 2,258 Photos
- 292 Forum posts
- 76 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: How to get to the Airport by..."
- Wrote a Review 27th of April, our national holiday: KING's day in Netherlands Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "27th of April, our national holiday: KING's day"
- Commented on one of airkarat's Netherlands travel pages
- updated a Netherlands Travelogue "Only in NL: a collection of the weirdest stories"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10131 Reviews - 21205 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1266 Reviews - 3255 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1423 Reviews - 3803 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos