"Opal Hot Springs" Top 5 Page for this destination Matamata Travelogue by kiwi
Matamata Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 147 photos
OPAL HOT SPRINGS is situated 6 kms from MATAMATA, towards the Kaimais. Head out of town at the Eastern end, on Tower Road and turn into Springs Road to find the pools.
Not only are there hot springs here, but also a range of accommodation where you can have a very restful interlude in your travels. Soaking in the hot pools at night is a real pleasure.
This intro photo shows the very picturesque Ramaroa Pool found down the banks of the Waitoa River. It's named after a resting Maori chief's canoe, when he visited this spot. The area whiteman pioneer Josiah Firth also discovered this quaint little pocket of hot water on the side of the river.
Now you can pay a few dollars extra to hire the pool for a more private time. It is also very much more picturesque than the main area.
The main pool is outdoor and open to patrons coming for just a swim and also to people staying in the accommodation. It is rather picturesque set high above the Waihou River and clad in nice trees and shrubs.
The pools are very popular with the locals and especially with children. There are no apparent life guards present so it is important to supervise your own children. The small pools shown here are for soaking only and the children shouldn't jump or dive into the water.
The main pool is good for swimming lengths and is also used by elderly people keen to exercise in warm water. Of course the minerals are good for you too.
- See All Walk up to the waterfall.
- See All Hobbit Hole Internet Café.
- If there has been a lot of rain.
kiwi's Related Pages
Matamata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Matamata-------LOTR Country"
- "Matamata - Home to Hobbiton"
- "Matamata - Home of the Hobbits!"
- "Matamata- Hobbiton"
- "As green as it gets!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matamata
- Hotels in Matamata
- Transportation in Matamata
- Restaurants in Matamata
- Shopping in Matamata
- Warnings and Dangers in Matamata
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tower-Soudan State Park Hotels
- Cape Town
- Gualaceo Hotels
- Terre Haute Hotels
- Limone sul Garda
- Panama City Beach
- Costa de Caparica
- Penwood State Park Hotels
- Ranikhet Hotels
- Eureka Springs
- San Vicente de la Barquera
- Fort Tuthill Hotels
- Australia and Oceania
Badges & Stats in Matamata
- 11 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Matamata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matamata
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Privacy Settings"
- Commented on one of shavy's Matamata tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The funkiest Café in the land!!"
- updated a Matamata Travel Page "MATAMATA"
- Commented on the Matamata travel guide
- Wrote a Review Walk up to the waterfall. in Matamata Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues