"Tuscany" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Travelogue by iandsmith
Italy Travel Guide: 69,710 reviews and 186,847 photos
Some of the 360 degree view over the vineyards and olive plantations from the top of Torre Grosse in San Gimignano.
While strolling around the wonderful historical (archaeological diggings are in progress) hilltop park you can't hardly help but notice the wonderful structure at one end, it happens to be an old Medici palace. It's a good news/bad news scenario. The good news is that it has a modern purpose so it will be looked after. The bad news is that it is a state prison!
In the fine Etruscan museum at Volterra, in addition to one of the world's finest collections of such artifacts, they have spent some time on their ceilings which I found attractive. I hope you do to.
"Casa del Cavallo" which, literally translated, means "House of the Horse" and you may come across this particular building if you wander the back streets of Siena.
Unfortunately, I don't have all the details, but I know it's something to do with the twice annual horse race, the Palio.
The standout belltower in Siena's Palazzo Pubblico attracts the eye from most places in the town but especially the famous Piazza del Campo.
As noted elsewhere, Romulus and Remus are everywhere as you will see on the projections sticking out from up on the tower.
Now, I can't remember exactly what this is but I feel some degree of certainty in thinking it's the baptismal font in Siena's wonderful church. With so much classical art and sculpture in the place I was overwhelmed!
I often wonder who enjoys statues and fountains more, us or the pigeons? Personally, I'm plumping for the pigeons, they get up close and personal, drink the water, defecate here and there. Yes, I think they come out the winners!
This is one of Italy's classic fountains, situated in the Piazza del Campo at Siena and it dates from the early 15th century though what you see here are 19th century copies, the originals are on the rear loggia of the Palazzo Publico nearby.
All the usual religious suspects are here, including Madonna and Child, Adam and Eve, the Virtues etc. Jacopo della Quercia did the originals and the fountain is still supplied by a 500 year old aqueduct.
- See All Inside Herculaneum
- See All Labro - a classic hill top village
- See All Iron age
- See All How convenient
- See All The challenge
- See All My life on the toilet
iandsmith's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 801 Reviews
- 1,293 Photos
- 137 Forum posts
- 47 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8187 Reviews - 21637 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5098 Reviews - 11237 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 637 Reviews - 1431 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2803 Reviews - 6987 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1711 Reviews - 4298 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Bergamo Hotels
- 1095 Reviews - 4318 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Genoa Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1881 Photos
- Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Montecatini Terme Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Catania Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 547 Photos