"De Graafschap "The Countship"" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Travelogue by Pavlik_NL
Provincie Gelderland Travel Guide: 2,101 reviews and 7,039 photos
Between the German border and the river IJssel lays the "Graafschap". A landscape that can be described as a mixture between the foresty "Veluwe" and agricultural "Betuwe" riverlands. Here small pictoresque villages are always ready for a warm welcome to all visitors. It's a part of the country that holds many traditional values and is famous for legends like the ones around the "witte wieven" (white witches). Still green and friendly, now-a-days a popular resortspot for people from the densely populated area on the West of our country. If some foreigner seeks a typical Dutch, but not internationally touristic part of The Netherlands ... this is the place to be!
Nowhere in The Netherlands the density of castles, mansions, halls and houses is so intens as in the "Graafschap". It shows why this area is called this way, as the count had many other royalties that lived all in their large and luxery home of which many have been spared in the passing of the centuries.
There are several biking and drivingtours in the area (ask any touristinformation). A general map shows that almost every little village has it's own historical monument in this category, some even more then one. "Huis Bergh", in the utter South-East corner of the "Graafschap" might be called the most beautiful example of medieval splendour.
One part of the "Graafschap" needs extra mentioning: the "Achterhoek" (literally "behind corner"). This Eastern part of the country was far away from the larger towns in the west and thanks it'sname to this distance. Here one has a strong dialect and holds very tight to many traditions. Looking for places where one still makes the wooden shoes ... here you will find several. Farming is still one of the cornerstones in the economy and many farmers have created small campgrounds for people who want to enjoy farmstays. Some hostes can tell you about the legends that are wellknown in these surroundings. The ones about the "Witte Wieven" (White Witches) are most exciting.
Between 's-Herenbergh and Zeddam are the hills of "Montferland". This very green and foresty environment invites to take long walks. Besides that, the first village offers "Huis Bergh" (see second chapter) and in the village Zeddam one can see the oldest windmill of The Netherlands. Just two items of many, that are to seen in the "Graafschap".
More Travelogues (2)
Written Mar 25, 2003
Veluwe, natural variety
Written Mar 26, 2003
Betuwe, the riverlands
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Provincie Gelderland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gelderland with its beautiful churches."
- "PROVINCIE GELDERLAND"
- "My beloved and green Gelderland"
- "A VISIT WITH VERY SPECIAL FRIENDS"
- "Gelderland, the largest province of The Netherland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Gelderland
- Hotels in Provincie Gelderland
- Transportation in Provincie Gelderland
- Nightlife in Provincie Gelderland
- Restaurants in Provincie Gelderland
- Shopping in Provincie Gelderland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Gelderland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Gelderland
- 445 Reviews
- 827 Photos
- 55 Forum posts
- 30 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Provincie Gelderland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Gelderland
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Best Delftware in The..."
- updated a Provincie Gelderland Travel Page "My beloved and green Gelderland"
- Commented on one of danitsja_nl's Provincie Gelderland travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "De Graafschap "The Countship""
- Wrote a Review Rich history from Batavians to knight to barons. in Provincie Gelderland Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues