"Photos from the Highlands & Islands" Scotland Travelogue by hslowe
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,257 reviews and 26,493 photos
Culloden is the site of the last major battle fought on British soil. The Scots fought the English here, and Bonnie Prince Charlie was forced to flee and go into hiding on the Isle of Skye.
Culloden totally lived up to my image of what a windswept, heather-covered moor would look like.
Find out more about Culloden at
The Clava Cairns are piles of stones (ancient burial mounds) which are over 4,000 years old, older than the pyramids in some cases. These mounds are located in somebody’s field, out in the middle of nowhere. When we visited the silence was perfect and the day was still. We wandered around the cairns in quiet wonder and felt our own insignificance.
For more on the cairns, visit
Glenelg was one of those places I don't think I would have seen without being on the Haggis tour.
We took a windy, uphill single-lane road to get to the overlook, where we were bowled over by the beauty of it all. Glenelg felt like heaven, and yet we could see an even better heaven just around the corner--the Isle of Skye.
Unfortunately I got sick on Skye and wound up in the hospital at Portree; however I did get to see the Sligachan bridge before I became
Supposedly if you stick your face in the water here you will have eternal youth and beauty. Guess I'm screwed.
Skye is inexpressably beautiful with AMAZING scenery. And the people speak Gaelic, so it sounds like they are singing to each other instead of talking.
Glencoe is a deep glaciated valley gouged out between the rugged mountains. It's nationally protected and there are only three houses in the area.
The famous clan massacre of the MacDonalds by the Campbells happened here. (The Campbells' violation of the MacDonald hospitality was viewed as so treacherous that even today, some pubs hang signs saying, "No Campbells.")
We had a wonderful picnic lunch on a mountainside at Glencoe.
Glen Nevis is another ridiculously beautiful place. You might recognize it as a location from the movies Braveheart and Rob Roy.
Highland cattle (hairy coos) are unbelievably cute, being the short, squat, hairy creatures that they are. They are quite docile unless you touch their horns, and then watch out. We fed them shortbread.
hslowe's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
- Posted in Travel Hiroshima Forum "Re: How long from Tokyo?"
- Commented on one of JanPeter74's Scotland travel pages
- updated a Scotland Travelogue "Photos from the Highlands & Islands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Photos from the Highlands & Islands"
- Wrote a Review Haggis Backpackers, All The Way in Scotland Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Peru 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Charleston Intro, 19 reviews, 10 photos
- Krakow Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 12 reviews, 8 photos
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Budapest Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Saint Andrews Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Top Scotland hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3356 Reviews - 6585 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1218 Reviews - 1967 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 884 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 731 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 168 Reviews - 312 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 243 Reviews - 726 Photos
- Arrochar Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Peebles Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 17 Hotels
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Dunfermline Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 186 Photos