"2000, December 18-20 ICW to Ft. Lauderdale" Fort Lauderdale Travelogue by grandmaR
Fort Lauderdale Travel Guide: 669 reviews and 1,412 photos
Disaster day - we only have 5 more bridges to do --- except that I mistake the first bridge and we go out the Hillsborough Inlet bridge instead of the 14th St. bridge. Luckily the bridge tender put the bridge back up and let us back through. So we didn't get through the correct bridge, which was about 2 miles from us until 10:45, an hour after we started. Then at the next bridge a big sportsfishing boat passed us as we were waiting, and his wake nearly pushed us into the wall, and then he backed up almost into us.
Saw a house with a 3rd finger salute statue in the front yard. Also saw the big power boat CHANGING CHANNELS that we saw up in the Carolinas on the way down. It was backing up to a fuel dock
The last bridge opened on the hour and half hour, and we came up to the bridge slowly at 12:30, and she didn't open. We called, and she said we weren't close enough, and it was a minute after the hour, and we'd have to wait to the next opening.
We finally got to our friend's house at 1:20 after 12.7 miles at 4.9 mph and a total of 1088 nm.
We are rafted on their CSY and we enjoyed visiting with them and comparing boats. They lent Bob a car to go to Sailorman and a couple other places, but he was disappointed and hardly got anything on his list. Then we took them out to dinner.
The next day (December 19), Bob changed the oil. I talked to our son-in-law in Miami. He says the weather won't be good enough tomorrow to come down - we have to go outside into the ocean.
We have to go outside to get around the Julia Tuttle bridge in Miami which is a fixed bridge only 56 feet instead of 65 feet. We leave the dock, and go through the 17th street bridge (It is possible that we would fit with it down - it is quite a tall drawbridge, but we wait for it to be raised anyhow as we don't want to take the chance. Fortuntately another boat with a very much taller mast is coming through at the same time.),and out the channel.
We can see the Gulf Stream raging against the north wind about a mile from us
We have no difficulty with the offshore passage, but I am unable to get a marina to stay at.
Next - High Priced Miami Beach
More Travelogues (2)
Written Jan 26, 2007
Air Boat Ride and Xmas on a Cruise Ship
Written Feb 26, 2009
Returning from a Cruise
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Lauderdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Venice of America"
- "fort lauderdale"
- "Fort Lauderdale - Venice of America"
- "A MUCH needed break in the Sun"
- "Ft Lauderdale"
- "A LONG OVER DUE VISIT TO SEE AN OLD FRIEND"
- "Ft. Lauderdale, cruise port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Lauderdale
- Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Transportation in Fort Lauderdale
- Nightlife in Fort Lauderdale
- Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
- Shopping in Fort Lauderdale
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Lauderdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Lauderdale
- 2 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (193)
Have you been to Fort Lauderdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Lauderdale
- Posted in Travel Orlando Forum "Re: where is this place?"
- updated a Fort Lauderdale Travelogue "2000, December 18-20 ICW to Ft. Lauderdale"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Returning from a Cruise"
- Wrote a Review Take Off to a Cruise in Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- Commented on one of pedersdottir's Fort Lauderdale travel pages
Photos in Fort LauderdaleSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues