"Kansai Airport" Osaka Travelogue by PartyRambo

Osaka Travel Guide: 887 reviews and 2,565 photos

Arrival

I landed in Osaka, at Kansai Airport, after a 21-hour trip - from Toronto to Detroit, then 6 hours waiting time for the connecting flight, for its 13-hour journey over Siberia.
Thank god for business class, is all I can say, and thank ALL the gods to have had connections to get me INTO business class, cheap!

Help Online

I'd never been to Asia before, but my brother's pending nuptials brought me to this side of the world in part as a vacation. Although he lived in Nagoya, my flight arrangements were not specific - I couldn't really choose much in terms of where or when I could fly into Japan - so I found myself arriving in Osaka without so much as a clue where I would be staying, or what I would be doing, for the week preceding the wedding.
Fortunately, the now-legendary Japanese efficiency (which I truly admire!) offered lots of help - from the terminal screens scatteed through the airport, I was able to book a hotel (although I eventually went to the front desk & had a hostess help me since I didn't know WHERE the hotels were). There were maps, tourist info & more.
This was my first trip to a non-English-speaking country, and I wasn't sure what to expect - I was quite pleased to see that English was available almost everywhere I went. And the Japanese were quite pleased to find that my 3 months of night courses in 'basic Japanese' were successful to get my point across in the native tongue!

An island jungle?

Don't ask me to tell you why there were some trees in the airport - the signs were written in Japanese & I'd only gotten to the basics of spoken language - 2 years have passed as I write this & I still can't read a word!

Departure

In many ways, I didn't want to leave the airport - it had plenty of English help, a nice atmosphere, and wasn't at all like any other airport I've been in.
However, I had things to do & places to go (once I figured out what there was to do & where there was to go!), so I made my way to the subway with directions to the hotel in hand.

• Page Written Mar 23, 2003

Comments

PartyRambo

“If they don't cut up the credit card, keep going!”

Badges & Stats in Osaka