"Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge over the Patuxent" Top 5 Page for this destination Solomons Island Travelogue by grandmaR
Solomons Island Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 255 photos
Looking from the top of the bridge toward Back Creek. You can see the sailboat masts sticking up above the trees.
The Patuxent River is very deep and fast flowing - deeper, but narrower than the Potomac which is on the other side of St. Mary's County. This is the view from the top towards Solomon's Island and the Calvert County side of the bridge.
Point Patience, just upstream of the Thomas Johnson bridge on the Patuxent, is a long skinny sandy point of land. There is a daymark stuck in the sand at the end of the bar which is only in a couple feet of water. But just to the south of the marker (within about 10 feet) the water is 120 feet deep. My SIL can't get over this point - he thinks it would be an amazing spot for fishing.
The Tri-County Council (St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles County) takes credit for the construction of this bridge. They say that they secured funds for State construction of the Lower Patuxent River Bridge (the Governor Thomas Johnson Memorial Bridge), connecting Solomons Island and Lexington Park. They say that from 1966 until its dedication and opening in late 1977 they were on the job getting this bridge built because it was a vital link in the completion of Southern Maryland's regional highway network.
In truth, the Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge (aka the Patuxent River Bridge) did make it possible to get from St. Mary's County to Solomon's Island without making a 50 some mile drive all the way from Lexington Park up to Hughesville and driving across the Benedict bridge to Prince Frederick and then driving down the other side. This was a great convenience.
Before the bridge was built, there was a ferry that connected Solomons to St. Mary's County across the Patuxent River.
Soon after the bridge was constructed however it was noted with horror that the supports right under the bridge were cracking
It was necessary to close the bridge to automobile traffic and repair the bridge. What they did was put metal bands around the top of the supports.
I had a roll of film to finish up before we took off down the ICW, so I drove over to Solomons and took some pictures of the bridge from the boat launch ramp area. The metal bands which can be seen in the photo above are not as obvious in this picture. They are over the channel farther along the bridge.
The bridge is named after the first governor of Maryland and is between 140 and 80 feet up. Even so it often looks as if our 58 feet mast will hit it. Perspective is deceiving.
But there's never been any question that we wouldn't make it under the bridge
The sun was setting in the west, so I took a photo of the reflection of the sunset in the water. The Patuxent Bridge is in the distance.
If you traveled by car before the bridge was built, it would take over 2 hours to get to a town across the river. Now it takes 25 minutes.
More Travelogues (4)
Written Aug 18, 2005
Drum Point Lighthouse and outbuildings - 2004
Written Sep 14, 2004
Children's Activities at the Solomon's Museum
Written Sep 14, 2004
Calvert Marine Museum - with grandsons 2002 & 2004
Written Sep 14, 2004
History and Ecology at the Calvert Marine Museum
- See All Calvert County Restaurant Week
- See All Close to the Marina
- See All Small Craft
- Waterman's Shed and other outdoor...
- See All Sail the Sultana
- Handicapped Accessibility
- See All Cove Point Lighthouse
- See All Looks Like a Bank
- See All The Head Boat Elizabeth S
- See All Drum Point Lighthouse
- See All Was Harbor Sounds Music Room
Been to Solomons Island?Share your travels with the world!
grandmaR's Related Pages
Solomons Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boating center"
- "Ringing the Bell for the Marine Museum"
- "The Most Fun Place in Southern Maryland"
- "Urban Getaway"
- "the Southern tip of Calvert County"
- "My current home"
- "Solomons Island Heritage Tours"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solomons Island
- Hotels in Solomons Island
- Transportation in Solomons Island
- Nightlife in Solomons Island
- Restaurants in Solomons Island
- Shopping in Solomons Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Solomons Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solomons Island
- 45 Reviews
- 199 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Solomons Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solomons Island
Photos in Solomons IslandSee All Photos (199)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues