"My Oil Paintings" Personal Page by grandmaR
I think this is my best painting
After I'd been painting in Key West, for a couple of years, and then for about 6 months in Philadelphia, I did this picture from a slide I'd taken.. The color and texture of the water was an accident. I was wiping off my brushes in that area. But I did have the sense to leave it that way.
The first picture I painted was done in 1968 of the Key West lighthouse. The next one was of some old style conch houses on Truman Street - the instructor helped me with the trees. My 2nd daughter's has both of these pictures.
After I did the first two landscapes, I did three still
lifes. This is the last of that group. I did three different iris which were new (in the mid 60's) named cultivars for my mom. My oldest daughter, my third daughter and my son have the of the others.
Most of my oil paintings on canvas were done between 1968 and 1972. Since then I have been painting on window screening. Mostly lighthouses on the port screens on our boat, but in the beginning, I also did some house screens.
I painted a picture for my father for Xmas from a slide I'd taken of his home town in Colorado. I sent it up unframed with my husband and daughter (we were moving from Key West to Philadelphia, and he was taking a car and trailer north). My mom put it away, and it disappeared in the house. So I painted another one. Many years later, we also found the smaller one - it had slipped down behind a chest in the store room.
This is the original pictures, which I think is the better one. My mom has both of them.
After I left Key West, we moved to Philadelphia. I continued taking lessons and did more landscape painting outdoors in Tyler Arboretum. This was an old ramshackle house which was falling down, and I did it all myself without any help with the foliage. I also started (but have not finished) another painting using a pallette knife instead of brushes of a little stone house nearby to this house.
I did this from a slide I took of my Dad's childhood home in Silver Cliff. You can see from the picture below that I did change it around a bit.
I had such success with the picture I did from a slide, that when I was in Maryland for a couple of years, I took an adult education class where all the painting was done from pictures. The slides allowed me to get the proportions on the canvas by projecting the picture and tracing the outline in charcoal (cheating a bit because I'm not a good draftsman).
In Key West I also tried a portrait of my daughter from her school picture. I still have that one.
Then I painted a portrait of my dad's former boss. I sold it to the school where he had been a professor.
The last portrait I did was of my dad. This was done in 1970, three years before he died. He is 66 years old here (two years younger than my current age). You can see that he doesn't have much grey hair. He actually sat for me to paint him and I didn't do the portrait from a photo. This hangs in my mom's house.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Elgin Hotels
- Sand Harbor Beach State Recreation Area Hotels
- Butuan City
- Boralesgamuwa Hotels
- Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Washington D.C.
- Spakenburg Hotels
- Margate City Hotels
- Michigan City
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 0 2 5
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 0 5 8
- Real Name
- (grandma) B.
- Leonardtown, Maryland
- Member Since
- Oct 18, 2002
- 6,557 Reviews
- 31,216 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 6,557 Reviews
- 31,216 Photos
- 50 Countries
- 752 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Isla Cozumel tips
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: One day from Miami"
- updated a Chantilly Travelogue "Flying out (and back) of Dulles"
- Wrote a Review 1906 Postcard mailed Labor Day 1907 about Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "1906 Postcard mailed Labor Day 1907"
updated their Profile Page " Traveling Grandma "
- grandmaR and ACruisinLady are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Peterhof
VideosSee All Videos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos