"VT San Francisco Meeting - Feb. 1, 2003" Personal Page by Rixie
At least 50 VT members and guests gathered at El Mansour, a Moroccan restaurant in the San Francisco Richmond District, for an extraordinary evening of drinks, dinner, and laughter.
The interior of the restaurant was set up like a giant tent, with seating -- around round tables -- on low padded benches and cushions. There were colorful rug hangings on the walls, and a white, billowy ceiling.
The meal was Moroccan style (or toddler style!): no plates, no eating utensils, and a common dish. To keep everything hygienic, waiters came around with a silver basin and poured warm water over each guest's hands; we were each given a towel that served as our napkin for the meal.
After that, the food just kept coming -- course after course. There was homemade bread still warm from the oven that served both as an accompaniment to the bowls of lentil soup and a serving scoop for the salad tray that followed: chopped tomato salad, cumin-spiced veggies, marinated cucumbers and carrots sliced paper-thin.
The third course was my favorite: a delicious pie-like concoction of chicken, almonds, and cinnamon baked in flaky phyllo and topped with powdered sugar. As David commented, "It's like a Krispy Kreme doughnut with chicken, but it works!"
That was followed by the main platter: servings of shrimp and scallops, skewered lamb, rabbit, and chicken.
Before the final course, our hands were again cleansed with warm water and scented delicately with a rosewater rinse. Dessert was banana fritters and mint tea in glasses.
We more or less took over the small restaurant. Every time something noteworthy happened, dozens of digital cameras flashed. One of the waiters remarked, "You people must all be camera buffs!"
Here Yubert sets up a shot. That's part of David's head in the foreground.
It was great fun to meet some of the folks I'd encountered on the forum before, including Giampiero, Stephanie, Yubert, Elizabeth, RJ, Jenn, Hasan, and many more.
Here's a shot of Elizabeth (va8eha) and Jenn (Jenn_D). I was in the original photo, but because I was very close to the camera, I looked like The Giant Talking Head! I cropped myself out.
A belly dancer entertained us, and more than one male face took on a slack-jawed look. I once tried taking a bellydancing class, and I can tell you that it's harder than it looks, coordinating feet, hips, arms, and fingers, and it's quite a workout...as you can see by the shape she's in. As Jenn commented, "I'll bet she can wear those low rise jeans!"
The entertainer pulled viewers -- male and female -- out of the audience to dance with her, and the VTers did us proud. In case you're wondering, the hairy arm in the photo isn't hers; it belongs to Tom (thall89553), lol.
GeishaGirl, the beautiful Hostess with the Mostest, is visible at the bottom left corner of the picture.
Several guests of VT members joined us for the evening, and they were good sports as we laughed at in-jokes ("SOMEBODY deleted that post!" -- meaningful look at Giampiero...), and chattered about the forum.
Left to right: David and Lisa, friends of GeishaGirls' and, we hope, future VT members; and my husband, Kelly.
It was a unique and fun-filled way to get acquainted with other VTers. Thank you, Stephanie, for the VT shirts -- I'll treasure mine! -- and thank you, Rochelle, for all your hard work, putting this meeting together! It totally rocked!
More Personal Pages (2)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 389 Reviews
- 892 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 30 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Father's Day memories"
- Commented on gilabrand's profile page
- Rixie and thuyduongvn are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Parking Scam in San Francisco Warnings and Dangers
updated their Profile Page "Who Brought the Harmonicas?"
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit a Historic Hotel"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 50 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22198 Reviews - 54001 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23037 Reviews - 47268 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7700 Reviews - 19770 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos