"The Great New Zealand Tree Fern, the Ponga." Karangahake Travelogue by kiwi
Karangahake Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
These great tree ferns are my all time favourite. The are taller than they look but I just love their colour and form. The Maori name is "Ponga".
This is a most wonderous site. It is the new fern frond unravelling. The Maoris call this "the koru", and it is the symbol of our national airline, Air New Zealand, and many other things.
I uncontrollably photograph these forms every year, and will continue to do so, as it is so appealing to my eye!
More Travelogues (1)
kiwi's Related Pages
Karangahake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very scenic gorge - one gateway to the East Coast."
- "Karangahake Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karangahake
- Transportation in Karangahake
- Restaurants in Karangahake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karangahake
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Karangahake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karangahake
Photos in KarangahakeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues